Seagate Serial ATA Problem

Alzo

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2003
Hi,
Just built a new system: MB - Chaintech 7NJS Ultra Zenith, HDD - Seagate Barracuda 80GB SATA HDD (Promise Fastrack BIOS). HDD installed ok with WINXP.

System works fine except for annoying glitch. Symptoms:
1 - After first boot (when machine has been off for some time, e.g. overnight)the machine hangs with XP still running).
2 - After soft restart, Fastrack BIOS (FB) fails to recognise HDD.
3 - After hard (pwr off) restart FB recognises HDD but WINXP boot hangs.
4 - After several hard resets WINXP finally boots up.

After this annoyance, the machine works fine for hours!!

Can anyone suggest a solution, as this is driving me mad!!

Alzo

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2003
Thanks for your reply.

Seagate support have suggested this also. Do you mean altering the memory settings (frequency) in the BIOS and using a diagnostic tool in WINXP?

tjchino

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2003
adjust timings in bios (make them bigger not smaller). the diagnostic tool is something you'll have to download somewhere else and put on a floppy disk. i believe it is called Memtest86 or something like that.

lunitic

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2003
check for newest drivers & bios on the chaintech website, this seems to me a driver problem. If there aren't any yet and your drive is a new model then check again in a couple of days. If your promise controler is a PCI model (not integrated on the mobo) check the promise website for bios & driver updates.

advent

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2003
I would advise to check the cables. I had a lot of problems with HDDs beeing not recognized by the Fasttrack, and touching the connectors then helped. I feel like SATA connectors are quite bad because they can move horizontally a lot.