Seagate Shipping Pulsar XT.2 Solid State Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I heard from storagereview that the Pulsar MLC drive can handle 15 Petabytes of writing over it's lifetime and the SLC drive can handle 25 Petabytes! Sounds too good to be true.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
you know, ssds kick hdds asses, collectively.

however i will buy a hdd over a ssd because i need 1tb of storage, minimum, and thats 70ish$, a 30gb ssd, 70ish$ even as a boot thats pathetic, because how much more can i store on it besides os, and how often do i boot my pc? once every week, once a month? barring crashes, or power outs about 2-3 weeks at any give time. i can handle a minute boot time on the os.

however my sotorage on the other hand, it can take a minute to load some folders, and going through the folders for what i want takes io ops.

i can use a ssd for storage more than i can for boot.

but for storage alone, i need minimum of 120gb, and a nice "future proof" of 240gb. but thats WAY to expensive for me.

why not stop speeding this crap up and bring the prices down. seriously. i would take a drive that is half the speed of a hdd but with no seek time if it was .25$ a gb.

ralfthedog

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
[citation][nom]Randomacts[/nom]Why can't they just compete for better $/g ratio... imo most people don't need this speed anyways.[/citation]

People who don't need speed are better off with spinning disks. The high end of the market needs both speed and reliability. That is why they are the high end of the market.

The cool thing is, eventually the high end of the market will trickle down to the consumer grade stuff. We are not that many years away from low end systems having RAID 5 of 2TB SSD drives.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]ralfthedog[/nom]People who don't need speed are better off with spinning disks. The high end of the market needs both speed and reliability. That is why they are the high end of the market. The cool thing is, eventually the high end of the market will trickle down to the consumer grade stuff. We are not that many years away from low end systems having RAID 5 of 2TB SSD drives.[/citation]

yea not many years off. we are more like a few decades form that.

but right now, lets say non server use. will an end user see a difference in ssd speed?

i mean the biggest speed boost is the effectively no seek time. even if the drives were 50mb read write, they would still seam like they vastly out preform hdds, because of the seek time.

i really cant give a s*** about any sata speed boosts, because they dont matter in ssds right now. and real professional drives, they have there own options for massive speeds.

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
[citation][nom]Randomacts[/nom]Why can't they just compete for better $/g ratio... imo most people don't need this speed anyways.[/citation]

The SAS interface opens up a whole new world. This is absolutely fantastic news! Integrating capacity drives with performance drives allows a datacenter manager to tier their storage on the same storage device, reducing the complexity of their SAN. This is very good news.

G

I think most of the posters here don't realize that Seagate is targeting the Enterprise/corporate world with these. These are meant for servers... and expense is worth it if it's faster and more reliable than all else out there.

I would buy a set of these if it means if my database queries are faster because of it...

gregzeng

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Seems little use of NTFS-COMPRESSED, except myself? MS claims negligible speed loss for about double the storage. Why no mentions anywhere of NTFS-compressed? I use it on all my hard drives nearly everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.