News Seagate Ships First 30TB+ HAMR Hard Drives

Jan 10, 2023
Exciting stuff. I've been waiting for this major hard drive capacity jump for a long while.

Hopefully other hard drive brands are not far behind. It's a little concerning that WD has been silent about increasing hard drive capacity lately.

There is still the question of whether or not these new drives will even be available to consumers. If they will be available, I have a feeling they are going to be prohibitively expensive. On the other hand, they may not be too expensive if hard drive manufacturers start using HAMR for all their HDD product lines. Economy of scale.

We'll see...

peachpuff

Reputable
Apr 6, 2021
"has already been tested by Seagate, purchased, shipped, and is now being qualified by (a) Seagate customer(s). As soon as qualification is finished, Seagate will recognize the money it received as revenue. "

So whose doing the actual testing? Seagate or the customers?

anonymousdude

Distinguished
"has already been tested by Seagate, purchased, shipped, and is now being qualified by (a) Seagate customer(s). As soon as qualification is finished, Seagate will recognize the money it received as revenue. "

So whose doing the actual testing? Seagate or the customers?
This is standard practice. You don't just take a vendor's testing at face value. You have to test the system to make sure it meets your requirements which might differ quite a bit from Seagate's. It's just like the mobo QVL list for RAM. It got tested by the vendor i.e G-Skill, Crucial, Corsair. But the motherboard maker also tries it on their specific board before stating that it works.

Reactions: peachpuff

didgetmaster

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
While it is always great to see a major leap in HDD capacity; I sincerely doubt that we will see a significant speed improvement with these drives. Other than the natural speedup you get from an increase in areal density (i.e. each rotation of a single track contains more data blocks); about the only major improvement we have seen in the past decade is with the new dual-actuator models.

Every time capacity increases 20, 30, or 50%; we see a speed increase of 3, 4, or 5%. This results in ever increasing time needed to read and/or write all the data on a full drive. A full backup, a RAID rebuild, or some kind of major FS maintenance (e.g. defragging) can now take days instead of just hours.

D

Deleted member 14196

It’s a data drive. it doesn’t need to get the fragmented ever. Nobody is going to use this as an operating system drive that needs defragmentation.

Nobody needs raid either for any reason with sizes like that. Plus software raid sucks and it’s worse now than it’s ever been before.

domih

Reputable
Jan 31, 2020
I wonder if this is mechanically possible: double the height of the 3.5" disks (would still fit in many consumer systems), possibly would allow increasing the number of platters and heads. More space, more speed at relatively no extra cost, no exotic new technology needed. But data center being the main market, one should not dream. Finally, I'm sure they already thought about it and concluded it would not help the bottom line.

TRENDING THREADS