Seagate Spins Out Record-Breaking 2 TB Laptop HDD Density

Status
Not open for further replies.

e36_Jeff

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
I'm sorry, but I'm not seeing it. Samsung has had a 2 TB 2.5" out for a while now:

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/samsung-internal-hard-drive-st2000lm003
I'm sorry, but I'm not seeing it. Samsung has had a 2 TB 2.5" out for a while now:

Its the 7mm thick part thats the first. all prior 2.5" 2TB drives are 9.5mm

@Mac266
this is 2 fold.
1) Seagate is not claiming the first 2TB 2.5" drive. As you mentioned Samsung has a drive, and (while rare) we have had 2.5" 2TB SSDs for a few years now. The important bit is that this is a HDD (much cheaper than SSD), and that it is a slim drive which can be used in smaller devices like x86 tablets and ultrabooks.
2) When was the last time that Sammy made a mainstream drive that anyone purchased? Samsung makes some great products on occasion in huge volume, but their HDD business is not exactly large. Having Seagate announce a drive means that you will actually be able to purchase them and find them in stock outside of a few specialty stores.

This is pretty big news. Especially with SSDs dropping in price and starting to eat up the smaller drive segments. A friend of mine just purchased a 256GB SSD for $65 on sale. A $65 256GB SSD, or a $50 250GB laptop HDD... that price gap is getting awful close, and the SSD will blow the HDD out of the water for performance and durability (speaking of physical durability in a laptop... not read/write).

PaulyAlcorn

Reputable
Sep 1, 2015
I guess I was remiss by not mentioning that the 'other' 2TB on the market utilizes three platters with 677GB each. The Seagate 7mm uses two 1TB platters - thinner, faster and more power efficient. Oh, and lighter.

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
@Mac266
this is 2 fold.
1) Seagate is not claiming the first 2TB 2.5" drive. As you mentioned Samsung has a drive, and (while rare) we have had 2.5" 2TB SSDs for a few years now. The important bit is that this is a HDD (much cheaper than SSD), and that it is a slim drive which can be used in smaller devices like x86 tablets and ultrabooks.
2) When was the last time that Sammy made a mainstream drive that anyone purchased? Samsung makes some great products on occasion in huge volume, but their HDD business is not exactly large. Having Seagate announce a drive means that you will actually be able to purchase them and find them in stock outside of a few specialty stores.

This is pretty big news. Especially with SSDs dropping in price and starting to eat up the smaller drive segments. A friend of mine just purchased a 256GB SSD for $65 on sale. A $65 256GB SSD, or a $50 250GB laptop HDD... that price gap is getting awful close, and the SSD will blow the HDD out of the water for performance and durability (speaking of physical durability in a laptop... not read/write).

no one pays $50 for 250GB harddisk .. this is the price of 500 to 750 GB harddisk.

Mac266

Honorable
Mar 12, 2014
@Mac266
this is 2 fold.

Actually, I believe Seagate owns Samsungs old HDD sector now.

Ah, of cause. Drive width completely slipped my mind.

joex444

Distinguished
@Mac266A $65 256GB SSD, or a $50 250GB laptop HDD... that price gap is getting awful close

An extremely contrived example as the low capacity HDDs basically don't use any fewer parts than the ones with twice the capacity; the difference is they use one side of a platter and leave off a few read/write heads compared to the double capacity drive.

If you want a fair comparison, 256GB SSD on sale for $65 or a 1TB HDD for $60 without a sale..While the SSD is faster, it's also only one quarter the capacity and slightly more expensive to boot.

Given most laptops only support 1 internal drive, this makes the choice more difficult as you can choose speed xor capacity at this price point.

laststop311

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
So this means we can get 3TB 3 platter 9.5mm drives. That interests me more. For people that use desktop replacement laptops they accept 9.5mm z height drives. I have a customized m18x r1 laptop that I have done a lot of work on. Uses a delidded i7-3920xm with an r2 motherboard and an upgraded triple heatpipe cooler and custom all copper heatsink overclocked to 4.2Ghz. It's a mobile chip that runs faster than a stock desktop i7-3770k. With my all copper triple heatpipe heatsink and coollaboratory liquid metal tim chip stays in the 60's under load. For gpu power it uses 2x GTX 780m in SLI that also uses all copper heatsink and liquid metal tim. It has no optical drive and has space for 3x 2.5" 9.5mm height drives of which I have a 1TB samsung 850 pro and 2x 2TB samsung 9.5mm HDD. I would just love to upgrade it to 2x 3TB 9.5mm drives. I would VERY much love to do this. I hope they manufacture this very soon. I use this laptop + a 21.5" monitor and a mechanical keyboard and performance mx mouse as my portable game anywhere LAN setup. All fits into a backpack and is incredibly easy to transport and LAN game anytime anywhere.

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
This reminds me when they cam up with 2.88MB floppy disks, what big news it was then until ZIP drives came out with 100MB, so, a 2TB HDD no matter what size is not news worthy same as 2.88MB floppy disks.

PaulyAlcorn

Reputable
Sep 1, 2015
This reminds me when they cam up with 2.88MB floppy disks, what big news it was then until ZIP drives came out with 100MB, so, a 2TB HDD no matter what size is not news worthy same as 2.88MB floppy disks.

Those were the days :)

Status
Not open for further replies.