Seagate SSHD spins up, clicking and doesn't get detected in bios.

Toiletclown

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
Hi!
My mother bought me a finish built Lenovo x310 with a seagate desktop SSHD 1TB for two years ago. I wanted to upgrade my PC, so I bought some new components including a SSD. But I wanted to keep my SSHD, so I did.

When I built up my New PC I accidentally dropped my SSHD on the floor, and realized when I was finish building the PC, and tested the PC into a monitor that the drive wasn't detected by bios.
I have my windows 10 from the last PC on that drive and one application. So I couldn't get into Windows.

I opened the hard drive and I bent back a bent thing on the head (don't know what the thing is called, but it's furthest away On the head), hoping that the problem was solved.

And now it could move without any problems with making scratching noises or getting stuck and the edge of the disk. But it didn't got detected by bios anyways. And when I start up the PC with the disk plugged in, the head moved and clicked one time at full range, very close to the spindle and went back to idle position again. This happened two times and then the head stopped at idle position. But the disk was still spinning. The disk stood spinning until I turned off the computer.

I've started up the PC with the disk plugged in three times, and the same thing happened.

Please I need some help. I can't afford to buy a new disk and Windows 10. I'm only 15 years old and I don't have any job, so I can't get much money :(

Solution
Many YT videos show you how to do it but very few tell you why you shouldn't. The one I linked was closest I could find. I wasn't recommending him do it, I know opening a hdd is basically killing it yourself.

Toiletclown

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
I wan't to repair it by myself, but I can't find the problem. The bent thing wasn't suppose to be that bent as it was. I know all the things about the dust part, and I was very very careful when I took a look inside. No scratches on the disk and I blowed away the dust with air pressure in a jar.

Colif

Win 11 Master
as soon as you open a hdd it is more or less ruined. They are not meant to be opened or dropped.

You can't get anything off drive but you can download win 10 from here: Win 10 media creation tool and make an installer and use that to put it on SSD

You could try to put hdd back together and maybe RMA it, depends on if you broke any seals that are obvious.

Toiletclown

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
I accidentally pressed the voting down. Everything in the drive looks fine and I should be able to fix this problem if I could find the problem. My thoughts is that the PCB doesn't get any connection with the head. And I can't find a screwdriver that's fitting the screws. So I can't take away the magnet or PCB and try to get a connection between the head and PCB.

USAFRet

Titan

You can play with it all you want, but that drive will never work again.
Good to take it apart and see what is inside, but it is dead.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

I think you missed this section in the article:

........ never open the enclosure. If putting your hard drive in the freezer is a bad idea, opening it is infinitely worse. You are not qualified to adjust the alignment of heads or platters that normally spin at 75 mph and are aligned to tolerances measured in micrometers.

Good luck, you will need it

Toiletclown

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
Thank you leader. I read that, but not before I opened. I did only watch YouTube and they said it was okay to do if I didn't scratch anything and took it carefully. Yes a torque, wrong by me. By the time I'm waiting for a solution on this thread, I'll be fixing my cable management even better. :) I've still got some hopes for this.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Right I understand my point was about the tolerances. You can't just bend it back to the right spot the tolerances are measured in Micrometers.

And just by opening it dust is in it whether you see it or not.

Stick a fork in it, its done.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The guy who opened the hdd up had gloves on and was probably in a controlled environment that is dust free. He didn't just open it up in his kitchen. opening hdd and looking at platters is death of most hdd. If you want a storage you can open up, get an SSD. they don't care if you drop them, if you had an SSD we wouldn't be having this talk :)

Toiletclown

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
The guys in the different videos Said that a clean environment wasn't needed. Some dust could not destroy it. They said that the pros said so because they wanted more customers to their services and earn more money. But yeah too much can destroy a hard drive. A SSD with 1TB space is very expensive and I can't afford that. And I could not afford that from the beginning either. I can hear that the reader threads I touching the disk. And the head is perfectly fitted inside the "parking station". How much would it approximately cost to send it in for service?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Far more than the cost of a replacement drive. Unless you have CRITICAL files on there you can't lose, I wouldn't waste the money.

Forget the guys in the videos! They don't know what they're talking about. This is why I don't like Youtube. The professionals on sites like this all say any dust will immediately kill it, so why would you listen to some Youtube guy instead?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Many YT videos show you how to do it but very few tell you why you shouldn't. The one I linked was closest I could find. I wasn't recommending him do it, I know opening a hdd is basically killing it yourself.

Solution

Toiletclown

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
Ok. I'm listening to you guys now, i'll give up on the drive. And will try go get a Windows 10 copy on my new 120GB SSD instead. Thank you for all the answers by the way. Have a nice day :)