Seagate suddenly won't power up on specific laptop

crewmember

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
I have a Seagate Backup plus that's worked flawlessly until I went out of town and disconnected (and dismounted) and stored in safe. When I came back the computer would not see it, or power it up. I can plug it into another person's laptop and works ok, but my Toshiba will not recognize it to power on. Any suggestions to get it to see it? I've tried the UBS port with printer and it works fine. So tested port, tested power supply and tested usb cable, they are all fine. Thanks.

Solution
Hey there.

You did great with the troubleshooting so far!
Since the drive is working properly with a different computer, I'd strongly recommend that you backup any important data which you might have written on it, just to be on the safe side. After that go ahead and download the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic tool and run all the tests to make sure that the drive in fact in good condition and that there's nothing out of the ordinary.
If everything seems fine with the HDD after the extensive testing, I'd suggest that you try updating or reinstalling the motherboard associated drivers for the laptop that's having issues with the HDD (e.g. chipset, USB controller drivers, etc).

Hope that helps. Please let me know how it goes.
Boogieman_WD
Hey there.

You did great with the troubleshooting so far!
Since the drive is working properly with a different computer, I'd strongly recommend that you backup any important data which you might have written on it, just to be on the safe side. After that go ahead and download the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic tool and run all the tests to make sure that the drive in fact in good condition and that there's nothing out of the ordinary.
If everything seems fine with the HDD after the extensive testing, I'd suggest that you try updating or reinstalling the motherboard associated drivers for the laptop that's having issues with the HDD (e.g. chipset, USB controller drivers, etc).

Hope that helps. Please let me know how it goes.
Boogieman_WD

Solution

TRENDING THREADS