Seagate, TDK Demo HAMR Tech for Next-gen Hard Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 217926

Sounds promising. Expensive and maybe needlessly complex but promising.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
What the hell?! I heard about his technology ages ago and they are still not going to implement it until ages from now?! It's getting ridiculously depressing how slow the pace of technological advancement is.

tigger888

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
@IndignantSkeptik

its people like you that dont appreciate what the hell is being done here. instead of saying its impossible to advance, they are taking an absurd idea and actually making it work. upset at how slow it is?! gimme a break..

Chaoss

Honorable
May 3, 2013
It'd be nice to have faster mechanical hard drives, but I believe they are looking in the wrong place for long term solutions. We should have crystal based drives now where your data could last tens of thousands of years

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Im kinda with Skeptik here... I heard about this back in like 2003 and they havent gotten it working yet? I know R&D takes a while but hell we havent seen a working proof of concept yet let alone one come to market. This might be sort of like the drug companies that dont cure diseases anymore they just make stuff so you can live with the disease you have. Hey the hard drives dont need this technology till we cant cram any more bits on the platter using perpendicular recording so we'll wait till then to release it. Why work harder than we have to? Especially since the only things that need these 20tb drives are enterprise storage devices and your extreme home user who wants to put all 1000 of their blurays on one drive.

f-14

Distinguished
This would enable 20 TB hard drives by 2020.

SSD's are already at 5TB i give it 2 years before SSD's are 20 TB making it Nov 2015

HARM too little too late the Blu Ray of DVD that was surpassed by SD almost immediately

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
"The typical hard drive is expected to hit a wall on data density when the tech reaches 1 terabit per square inch per platter "

Umm the typical hard drive has hit a wall on data density, back in 2010 or so. We've been at 1TB platters for desktop drive and 500GB laptop platters for many years now and there recently has been 1 or two 750GB plattered laptop drives coming out (hitachi Travelstar 5k1500)

jeu2

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
For those of you wondering why it takes so long to make these, well I worked at Seagate on the HAMR drive development and can say that with any new technology it is difficult to foresee all the unknown issues. With such small packaging of a laser onto a read write head the challenges are daunting and then make it last for years is even tougher. Projects like this often easily get about 80-90% of the way done, but the remaining part to commercialize and make it reliable is the most time consuming and difficult.

This a massive increase in storage density and by no means anything easy or simple. it would blow your minds if you knew all the details about how the read write head with a laser built works.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
I wonder what will come first: denser non-volatile digital storage, graphene computers, photonic computers, quantum computers, cancer cure, HIV cure, human regeneration, human rejuvenation, singularity, utopia, universal entertainment provider, OLED computer screens?

Status
Not open for further replies.