[SOLVED] seagate test passed, crystaldiskmark says external hdd is ok, chkdsk fails to fix

RainbowIsRainbow

Reputable
Aug 28, 2019
Hey, I have gotten a Seagate external HDD years ago, suddenly, when I was transfering files, everything froze, so I disconnected the HDD and force restarted my computer, I connected the HDD and I got an error(everytime I reconnect the HDD) saying my HDD needs a scan or something related like that, I went to scan, then minutes later, it just closes without any messages, I thought it was successfully scanned, but when I went to go to the drive, I couldn't make a new folder, that's the time I knew I had to backup real quick, I backupped everything I had from the HDD, so I decided to install the SeaTools program. I opened it, and did a quick test(not sure if long test is required) and everything passed, no issues, I went to scan the hard drive again, same thing, closing without any messages, I decided to do a quick fix, same thing, can't create folders, chkdsk closes without any messages, still can't create folders.

Any ways to fix this problem or am I screwed?

Reactions: supon
Due to the fact that the hard drive is acting inconsistent (like failing hard drives do).....I wouldn't trust it.....and I'd replace it.
I think no matter what you do at this point.....there will always be what I'd consider unacceptable risk.
I think you are lucky you got the data from it.

Last edited:
Any ways to fix this problem or am I screwed?
So - all your data is backed up. Right?
File system on the drive is messed up. But chkdsk for some reason could not fix it.
It's possible, external enclosure is messing things up and causing problems.

If you still have warranty, then you just might RMA it.

If you're out of warranty, then
remove the drive from external enclosure and connect it to a desktop pc with sata data/power cables.
Clean it, repartition, reformat it.

And check it with HDtune health. Show screenshot (upload to imgur.com and post link).

RainbowIsRainbow

Reputable
Aug 28, 2019
So - all your data is backed up. Right?
File system on the drive is messed up. But chkdsk for some reason could not fix it.
It's possible, external enclosure is messing things up and causing problems.

If you still have warranty, then you just might RMA it.

If you're out of warranty, then
remove the drive from external enclosure and connect it to a desktop pc with sata data/power cables.
Clean it, repartition, reformat it.

And check it with HDtune health. Show screenshot (upload to imgur.com and post link).

View: https://i.imgur.com/dT9tVun.png

RainbowIsRainbow

Reputable
Aug 28, 2019
Last edited:

RainbowIsRainbow

Reputable
Aug 28, 2019
I fixed the problem! It was because of a corrupted folder, I couldn't delete it so I had to use a third party program to delete/shred it, and it worked! After I deleted it in Arch linux, I connected it back to my Computer, and everything went well, I repaired, now I can use my HDD. Thank you all for trying to help.