Seagate to Drop Barracuda XT, Green HDD Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Interesting, but I wonder how much they will cost, considering the shortages going on due to all the flooding in that region of the world. I was gonna get more drives at tax time, but I'll probably just get an SSD and stick with the two platter based drives I currently have. Anyway, cant wait for prices to go back down and larger models to come out.

ickarumba1

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Seagate has missed out an important aspect of low RPM drives: noise and vibration. When you have one HDD, it doesn't matter, but when you have 12 or so in a case, high RPM drives can lead to some trouble.

Also, I wonder if they'll ramp up production of the other drives. I'd hate to see more people lose their jobs.

RogueKitsune

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
The real question is did they ever fix all the reliability issues they had from a couple years back. 3 years ago I had to swap out 4 different Seagate drives before i got one that lasted longer than a month. And right now that drive I finally stuck with is starting to show signs of failure. So unless they got their act together I am still gonna avoid them. All 8 of my WD drives are about 5 years old and still show almost perfect health

Horhe

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
@RogueKitsune
I didn't have any problems with my 4 years old Seagate HDD. Also, I have one 1.6 GB Seagate HDD from 1996 and it still works, though it hasn't seen continuous use. :)

On topic: Less models can only be a good thing, desktop monitors manufactures should take note, because I don't like when I have 10 monitors from the same manufacturer in a 50$ price range, that only differ through a letter in the name, and whose differences aren't explained anywhere.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Seagate bought Maxtor a few years back. When you get a Seagate HDD, you basically get a HDD from two companies. I still have a Maxtor 40 GB HDD bought in 2003 which runs fine.

I never really understood the need for "green" HDDs. The difference to regular HDDs or performance HDDs can't be THAT much (in wattage, I mean). Maybe for servers or something where you have several of them together. The average user could probably turn down the monitor brightness by 15% to even it out.

PS: Speaking of monitors... Horhe, you should probably spend more than $50 on a monitor because it's the thing you look at 98% of the time you use the computer. You can be sure that they explain the differences for those (they can't afford not to).

halcyon

Splendid
Seagate said that it plans to reintroduce the Barracuda XT later on as the company’s desktop solid state hybrid drive.
This makes complete sense to me. When I first saw these drives at my local retailer I inferred, from the XT suffix, that they WERE hybrid drives like the Momentus XT. It looks like I wasn't the only to draw that conclusion and confusion.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]ickarumba1[/nom]Seagate has missed out an important aspect of low RPM drives: noise and vibration. When you have one HDD, it doesn't matter, but when you have 12 or so in a case, high RPM drives can lead to some trouble.Also, I wonder if they'll ramp up production of the other drives. I'd hate to see more people lose their jobs.[/citation]

i have 5 drives, most of which are 7200 rpm... my fans are louder than the hdds.

12 drives... assuming raid, that's meant for speed or data security, you have a trade off.

[citation][nom]Horhe[/nom]@RogueKitsuneI didn't have any problems with my 4 years old Seagate HDD. Also, I have one 1.6 GB Seagate HDD from 1996 and it still works, though it hasn't seen continuous use. On topic: Less models can only be a good thing, desktop monitors manufactures should take note, because I don't like when I have 10 monitors from the same manufacturer in a 50$ price range, that only differ through a letter in the name, and whose differences aren't explained anywhere.[/citation]

their older drives are great, use to be the best, but than reliability fell when they moved plants.

the monitors are to have more choice from one manufacture, to give you the illusion that you made a choice, if they only have one monitor out of 10, than thats a 1:10 chance you pick them, but a 2 or 3 in 10, thats a 3:10 you will pick them.

[citation][nom]dspider[/nom]Seagate bought Maxtor a few years back. When you get a Seagate HDD, you basically get a HDD from two companies. I still have a Maxtor 40 GB HDD bought in 2003 which runs fine.I never really understood the need for "green" HDDs. The difference to regular HDDs or performance HDDs can't be THAT much (in wattage, I mean). Maybe for servers or something where you have several of them together. The average user could probably turn down the monitor brightness by 15% to even it out.PS: Speaking of monitors... Horhe, you should probably spend more than $50 on a monitor because it's the thing you look at 98% of the time you use the computer. You can be sure that they explain the differences for those (they can't afford not to).[/citation]

green drives are usualy budget drives and cant preform well in server or raid, but can preform decently in a average tower.

and again with the monitors, they throw buzwords at your face and lie about numbers in everything, nothing a company says about any monitor can be trusted, besides what kind of pannel it is.

juanc

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
Just as others posted... Zero defect on my Seagates, life-wide. WDs died a lot. Family and Office wide.

[citation][nom]RogueKitsune[/nom]The real question is did they ever fix all the reliability issues they had from a couple years back. 3 years ago I had to swap out 4 different Seagate drives before i got one that lasted longer than a month. And right now that drive I finally stuck with is starting to show signs of failure. So unless they got their act together I am still gonna avoid them. All 8 of my WD drives are about 5 years old and still show almost perfect health[/citation]

blakwolf

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
So what. Seagate sucks. Also, everything green that I have tested is useless garbage. No matter what manufacturer. Green is just a scam for all those little sheep that bite in to it. HMMM... Foot note: Order that 3200 watt power supply I've been wanting.

clownbaby

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
or maybe they're streamlining their selection because their factories are under water. I wouldn't be surprised to see other companies doing the same. HD prices are through the roof and by concentrating on production on their most popular models, they'll at least be able to give a cushion to OEMs. We consumers will surely be taking up the slack, and it'll be another 2 years before hard drive prices are back to resonable. SSD prices will surely rise too as a result of all of this. Look for next years industry sales numbers to crash.

BTW. ALL hard drives fail. WD, Seagate, Samsung. They're all cheaply produced and not meant for long term use. Back your data up and stop fany-boying hard drive companies. It's like saying bud lite is better than miller lite..... in reality is just all cheap junk.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]RogueKitsune[/nom]The real question is did they ever fix all the reliability issues they had from a couple years back. 3 years ago I had to swap out 4 different Seagate drives before i got one that lasted longer than a month. And right now that drive I finally stuck with is starting to show signs of failure. So unless they got their act together I am still gonna avoid them. All 8 of my WD drives are about 5 years old and still show almost perfect health[/citation]

I just use WD, they have failures too, for sure, but they've been pretty reliable in my 16 years of experience. I had my first WD actually fail a couple of years ago and I was generally surprised.

Seagate. I like them fine but I've had more failures where they're concerned.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
This "green" drive is just lame marketing anyway to take advantage of suckers. I like Seagate though, they indeed make nice drives.

ickarumba1

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i have 5 drives, most of which are 7200 rpm... my fans are louder than the hdds. 12 drives... assuming raid, that's meant for speed or data security, you have a trade off.[/citation]

You have some very loud fans then. In my server, the HDDs are the loudest.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]ickarumba1[/nom]You have some very loud fans then. In my server, the HDDs are the loudest.[/citation]

Do your drives use ball bearings or fluid bearings?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]ickarumba1[/nom]You have some very loud fans then. In my server, the HDDs are the loudest.[/citation]

only time i ever heard my hdds was when one of them was a failure and it vibrated itself to death, lost 30gb of data due to that fail... wish i would have realized it sooner, as i thought it was a fan... looking back on it i realize how retarded that thought was. little plastic fan making a full tower with 5hdds vibrate to the point i had to put weight on the thing... you have no idea how hard im loling at myself over that right now.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]only time i ever heard my hdds was when one of them was a failure and it vibrated itself to death, lost 30gb of data due to that fail... wish i would have realized it sooner, as i thought it was a fan... looking back on it i realize how retarded that thought was. little plastic fan making a full tower with 5hdds vibrate to the point i had to put weight on the thing... you have no idea how hard im loling at myself over that right now.[/citation]
...and now you do backups. This is how a lot of us learn our lesson and its typically a lesson that only has to be "learned" once.

G

i don't really care much for green drive, but as their price is much more cheaper, my drive is all green drive, fifty of them

thirteenthcor

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]I dunno why they have a "green" series as we should all endeavor to have low power consumption in our equipment...[/citation]

[citation][nom]ickarumba1[/nom]Seagate has missed out an important aspect of low RPM drives: noise and vibration. When you have one HDD, it doesn't matter, but when you have 12 or so in a case, high RPM drives can lead to some trouble.Also, I wonder if they'll ramp up production of the other drives. I'd hate to see more people lose their jobs.[/citation]

I think a lot of this depends entirely on the case AND the drives in question.

My case uses hot-swap trays with metal studs mounted inside rubber grommets which tension-secure to the screw holes in the drive, and then slide-click into the bay-box. The trays are plastic, and the grommets are rubber/silicone.

You also have to do quite a lot of research into whether or not individual drive vibrations are even being transmitted into your case or building any sort of harmonic to begin with.

5900RPM is just too old and too slow for the size of modern files. When you're transferring 500 megs here, 800 megs there, every few days, and you've chosen the correct ATA channels, 5900 is fine.. But when you start talking 8,10,16 gig single files, once or twice a day, 5900 is just too slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS