Seagate Updates NAS And Consumer HDDs With 12TB Models

Status
Not open for further replies.

pabloxmena

Prominent
Aug 22, 2017

Hi bro!

The same used to be said on previous hdd capacities...but here we are don't we ?

I imagine (for nas at least) that people will buy a couple to create proper raid, not just one.

;)

That is correct.

Hard drive capacities are a double edged sword due to the benefit of more capacity and the URE, unrecoverable read error, of those drives which could possibly corrupt data.

With a URE of 10^14 bits an error occurs on average every 12.5 terabytes
With a URE of 10^15 bits an error occurs on average every 125 terabytes
and so on.

With a 4 terabyte drive with an URE of 10^14 you could have written the drive more than 3 times before the average possibility of a URE would be due.

But with a 12 terabyte drive you would barely be able to fill the drive once.

According to
http://www.seagate.com/www-content/datasheets/pdfs/ironwolf-12tbDS1904-9-1707US-en_US.pdf

The Seagate 4 terabyte drives are 10^14 meaning they can only write on average 12.5 terabytes before "messing up" matching the above situation.

The capacities higher than 4 terabytes, including the 12 terabyte in the article, are all 10^15 URE.

125 terabytes should be more than enough for most people.

Interestingly enough all drives are rated by Seagate for 180 terabytes a year, 55 terabytes passed their rated URE, at least for the 10^15.

I don't even need to do the math for the 4 terabyte drive with a 10^14 URE to see that is a bad idea.

Data being corrupted isn't a drive failure and would fall under the "Two years of data recovery included (Seagate Rescue)" mentioned in the article, not a drive replacement.

The drive could work perfectly for another 125 terabytes.

TL;DR?
Don't buy the Seagate 4 terabyte drive.

gio2vanni86

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
This is sweet. Been waiting for a bump up. I kept hearing talk, and finally. 12TB's. My anticipation of the 10tb maybe dropping in price. Either way now i want this hah!

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I applaud the new storage bump but as long as it has Seagates name on it I will never touch it!!!

I lost 8TB of data when 4 2TB drives died within minutes of each other right after their 1 year warranty expired. Yep, 1 year warranty!

Typo. Meant I lost 8TB lol

You hold grudges for a long time.

Last 2 gigabyte hard drive I had was a Quantum Fireball from the 90s.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

Typo lol. I meant I lost 8TB. Thi swas after the flood they had in Thailand and the price gouging was happening but they lowered drives to 1 year warranties instead of the usual 3 year warranty they had. I switched to Toshiba and never looked back since :)

I lost data with Maxtor, Seagate and WD. I use to use only Samsung drives but after Seagate brought them and started putting out fake Spinpoint F4 drives I stopped completely. I still have 3 SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2TB going strong in my 48TB server and its been going for years... Zero bad sectors, no bad SMART and the drives been running for years.....Ill post a screen shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS