Seagate, WD Cutting Back on Hard Drive Warranties

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cybersans

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
welcome to the world of capitalism.

the affected products just seagate, but seems like all manufacturers want to share a same bowl.

well done!

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]aidynphoenix[/nom]QUESTIONhow would WD or Seagate Benefit from SSD drives gaining more popularity?aren't the HDD manufactures completely unrelated to the majority of company's that are selling SSD drives right now, like Intel, Kingston, OCZ?or do Seagate and WD think they will be able to suddenly jump into the SSD market and take over?i think that if Seagate and WD wanted more business they should lower prices,, i dont know how you all feel, but i would defiantly be willing to buy several 1tb drives right now for $50 ea. but i made the decision to not buy another hardrive because of the way prices are now. and because i am concerned about the quality of the drives to come out of Thailand now. i have a shelf full of old 40, 80, 120+gb drives,, il use those before i drop $120. on 500gb that was only about $40. before this nonsense.[/citation]

i got a 2tb drive for my little brother for 130$ yesterday... i have no idea why it was so cheap, but its not going to be used much for 3 months, after than, it will become close to his main drive.

lp231

Splendid
The Caviar Blue, the Caviar Green and the Caviar Black will be the only drives getting the swift kick in the warranties, reduced from three years down to just two; both the Scorpio Black and the VelociRaptor will retain their five-year warranties. However the company plans to unveil an extended warranty offering with special pricing in the near future.

Black drives comes with a 5 year warranty, only Green and Blue are 3 years. By this your saying all drives are now 2 years? I find that hard to believe them Black will be cut from 5 down to two. And notebook Black drives still maintain their 5 year warranty?!
Most likely Black gets 5 down to 3. As a article in VR-Zone stated
Western Digital is cutting its warranty from three years to two for its Caviar Blue, Caviar Green and Scorpio Blue drives.
This article is full of FAIL...

Shame on you WD. If you're confident about your work you should be warranting them as such.

Meanwhile, the cut means nothing for Seagate because their drives always fail before the year's up...

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
[citation][nom]toddzio[/nom]I wonder how Samsung will react to this.[/citation]
[citation][nom]Darkerson[/nom]I bet it involves not giving a rat's ass, since they sold off their HDD division to Seagate...[/citation]

My guess? dance in ecstasy sing they make the memory modules for SSDs.

tritono9

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
You people dont realize that this maybe have relation with the SOPA/PIPA/ACTA thing. They want full control of internet. Maybe they are working with the government. This are like the last year of the free internet. They want control over what you see, what you can download and the they dont want that you have storage. All for the same intentions.

G

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE COMPETITION IS CUT FROM 4 OR 5 DOWN TO 2 I would say it was money well spent by western digital and Sea Gate now they can set what prices they want and do what they want with warranties and have little fear of any backlash Duopoly rules Roll on cheaper ssd drives and fear not Sea gate and Western Digital like all PC components they will drop and then your unhappy customers will be able to tell you where you can stick your hard drives

G

I came across this article from Google because my repair shop has been seeing a huge increase in the rate of hard drive failures, and I only now noticed that the warranties had been reduced. It's not just the warranties that are worse, folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.