Seagate's New 15,000 RPM, 600 GB Monster

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The question is: Why not a SATA version?
I know it's a stupid question but I would like to see one of these on my home computer one day.... (But for sure I will not spent on a SAS controller...)

Hovaucf

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
Of course these drives are faster than Velociraptors, its a 15K SAS drive compared to a 10K SATA drive.

Plus this drive launch price will most likely be approaching $900 US.

You can still get a current gen raid card to run these drives as no one is going to buy enough of these to top the max throughput of 2100 MB/s for current 3Gb raid cards, for home use.

mlcloud

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
How loud are they? Will it go WHIIRRR WHIIRRR WHIIRRR, or must I purchase an SSD?

I understand what this article was trying to do, but let's not paint hard drives in too glorious a light...

and... price? xD.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Its called a server hard drive fellas. Your not gonna get a SATA connector.

If Seagate decides that WD is gettin too much love for the V-raptor, they might make a desktop version, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Hovaucf

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
SATA III is being released more so because SSD are already approaching SATA II limitations, you can take a Velociraptor and it still wont sustain speeds above SATA I which is ~150 MB/s. But all SAS drives are loud and they run really hot w/o excellent cooling.

Kezix_69 that link you provided is not a 15K.7 Cheetah as they havent even been released yet, thats a NS drive which stands for "Nearline SAS"

The 15K.7 model # is ST3600957SS

strandwolf

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008
I got excited about it when the big press release was made back in early January. No sign of them until now. I called Seagate about a month ago and was told they'd be out in July. There are two smaller capacity versions as well, according to the January articles.

G

"how do you test a batch of drives and get 182.6 years as an average?"

Where we're going, we don't need MTBF tests

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
[citation][nom]mcnuggetofdeath[/nom]Where, when, and for how much can I pick this up. Ill buy myself a freakin' controller card so i can run this in my gaming rig. Also transfer rates plz.[/citation]
Too loud!

cdillon

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
You will never see SATA on an enterprise HD because the SATA command-set lacks several enterprise data-integrity features. And those features will never be added to SATA in the future because then SATA would essentially become SAS, and if you wanted that then why not just use SAS in the first place?

kanaric

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
how loud?
i own a 300 gb, no louder than a 7200

if you buy ~$300 i7 board you get a decent SAS chipset in there

At $700 i would just buy 2 300gb for 600 GB and raid 0. The 15.6 300gb is about $300 if you look around.

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
[citation][nom]B-Unit[/nom]Its called a server hard drive fellas. Your not gonna get a SATA connector.If Seagate decides that WD is gettin too much love for the V-raptor, they might make a desktop version, but I wouldn't hold your breath.[/citation]

No joke, people are asking about the price, how loud, and the really important one...how much heat. I ran 4 15k 18GB drives in a workstation once because I found them and a controller cheap. I was using it as a regular desktop machine, put off way to much heat and noise to be kept in my apt bedroom. That and the red lights on the raid card made sweet night rider scrolling effects on the wall because the case side was off. I thought it was awesome, kept my girlfriend at the time up at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.