Seageate external hard drive making faint beeping noise

Vishvas Arora

Reputable
Oct 2, 2016
Hey there I have a seageate external hdd which is making strange beeping noise and is not detected nor spinning.Seageate said they may not be able to recover data and no other recovery services understood the problem.Please help me as it contains priceless data of several upcomming projects.

Hi there Vishvas Arora,

One thing you can try is to attach the drive with a different USB cable to another computer. That way, you will rule out a possible connection related problem.

In case the issue persists, then there's something wrong with the enclosure or the HDD inside has failed.
What do you mean by "understood the problem"? Did you send out the drive to a data recovery company? If the data is really important, you will need to use the services of a data recovery company. Just check a different one.

If the drive is under warranty and you don't really need the data, you can just contact the place you got it from and RMA it.

Let me know in case you have some more questions,
D_Know_WD :)

Vishvas Arora

Reputable
Oct 2, 2016
I have already tried to change wire,USB port I even tried different PC and I meant that on phone they said that problem is one of a kind and that they would not even try. Seageate helpline is also saying to change drive and that recovery chances are less but said that they could try. I will send the drive to them to check but I have seen some cases like this but was always able to recover data by myself. One special thing is that windows gives the sound when drive is attached but nothing happens after.And beeping noise is faint in one system and loud in other. Why?how?

John7128

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017
Try to open the usb container and plug your drive directly on a motherboard (Sata)...this might do the trick.
If it doesn't work, try running a version of Linux (bootable usb key) and keep the drive plugged to the motherboard in sata...this might work.

If it doesn't work still....try to run MHDD, this is a free diagnostic software...Tell us if the drive is marked as ready "RDY" in MHDD....if not, I can help to push the diagnostic here....post back and let me know.

Well, if the data is really important, the manufacturer's data recovery services would be your safest bet. Trying some DIY methods could further damage the data.

Anyway, if you go with taking the drive out of the enclosure, so you can attach it internally and it still makes these sounds, then there's something physically wrong with the drive and there's no point in trying to access it with software tools.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

Vishvas Arora

Reputable
Oct 2, 2016
Well actually I don't want to open drive as it is just weeks old and seageate made sure to recover most of my data and replace the drive so I won't try to open it.The drive also does not have any screws to open it. It is not being detected so using any tool isn't possible

Vishvas Arora

Reputable
Oct 2, 2016
Seageate called and said due to short circuit harddrive failed and data recovery is not possible and they sent replacement drive.Lost all faith in seageate and data recovery should have tried DIY methods.

Vishvas Arora

Reputable
Oct 2, 2016
Seageate refused to give drive back and sent new one to replace it and somehow I had a copy of most of data on my NAS so and rest of data that included presentations will have to done again.