[SOLVED] Seamless motherboard swapping between same chipset MOBOs?

yeahok976

Reputable
May 27, 2018
I am building a travel skeleton PC (just has MOBO, PSU, and case) which I need to be able to quickly transfer my ram, cpu, cooler, and SSDs into from my main PC. Physically, the only thing that would be switched on the hardware side of things during this transfer would be the mobo. It would be going from an ATX b350 to a mini-itx one. Assuming I plug the satas in correctly, would this cause any major issues?

Would it be 'plug and play'? Thanks.

Solution
I am building a travel skeleton PC (just has MOBO, PSU, and case) which I need to be able to quickly transfer my ram, cpu, cooler, and SSDs into from my main PC. Physically, the only thing that would be switched on the hardware side of things during this transfer would be the mobo. It would be going from an ATX b350 to a mini-itx one. Assuming I plug the satas in correctly, would this cause any major issues?

Windows "should" become unregistered since the motherboard has changed. The cooler could be an issue if you use an aftermarket cooler with a special backplate and hardware.
But, just because the chipset is the same, other things could be different, like a WIFI card or the ethernet...

kanewolf

Titan

Windows "should" become unregistered since the motherboard has changed. The cooler could be an issue if you use an aftermarket cooler with a special backplate and hardware.
But, just because the chipset is the same, other things could be different, like a WIFI card or the ethernet adapter. There is no guarantee when swapping motherboards that a Windows install will be seamless.
Personally, I wouldn't want to be pulling and installing a CPU and cooler repeatedly.

Solution