Search for ultimate base-building game

novvak

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017
Hello everyone,

I have been looking for a right kind of base building game for some time.
I've tried Rimworld and Gnomoria, and I consider playing Dwarf Fortress, but I'm not sure if I can get through the user interface and game visuals. Can you please suggest some games worth considering? What I am looking for in a game of that kind is:
- layers - I love Rimworld, but a world with just 2 dimensions is not cool at all
- still supported / in development - that's the reason I don't play Gnomoria anymore, there just will be nothing new in it
- building defenses and defeating storming enemies
- lots of possible things to discover, technologies that allow to create new things, or randomly generated events on the world map
- I don't have preference on "timeline", it can be fantasy, SCI-FI or realistic setting

Thanks in advance for every answer.

I've never gotten into the top down or isometric view games that have such things, like World of Warcraft, but I have played Fallout 4, which definitely has base building. Many complained that the defenses you build up are not frequented enough by enemies, but that can depend on how you set up trade routes. I played it in such a way that I built a trade route network large enough to keep supplies coming into each base I built up first. So for me, they got attacked regularly, and I just went back and repaired turrets, or added fences, etc, where they appeared to be getting in.

If you like military settings, the upcoming Battlefield V multiplayer will have some very significant changes, key among which is base building, especially if you're Engineer class. However it will also be more challenging as they've gone to a hybrid health system. Your health now has 3 bars, if it drains below a certain bar, your health will only regenerate to the max of that bar. You then have to find a medpack, or medic, and there's now 3 second animation just for being revived. There's also new animations were you can drag a teammate to cover via an arm or leg.

These games, especially Battlefield V, no doubt have higher hardware requirements than the ones you're referring to though, so make sure you check on that before buying. If you want a more 3D version of base building game that has basic graphics, maybe check out Minecraft.

novvak

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017
Thank for your reply, Frag Maniac.
I played F4 for a bit, but the game is very buggy, unfortunately. After playing for a while, settlers in bases tend to glitch, and you can't assign jobs to them anymore. It caused playing basebuilding (however fun it might be) pointless in my opinion, as defending ghost town's was not what I was looking for. I tried many mods to fix that issue, but nothing seem to help.
As for BF5 - it's completely not my kind of game, I'm a rather casual gamer. I'm into single player games mostly.