[SOLVED] Searching for a new monitor...am I looking for a unicorn?

mbard

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
Hi Everyone,

After close to 7 years, I'm building a new pc. I have all of my components aside from my video card (likely will get a 3090 sometime next year assuming stock will be available) and monitor. My current monitor is an Asus ROG PG278Q (https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG_SWIFT_PG278Q/). I'm looking for something comparable with the exception of being a bit larger and 4k resolution. Specifically I'm looking for the following features:

3840x2160 resolution
4ms or less response time
32"+ size (up to 40 possibly...43 will be too big for my desk/setup)
120hz+ refresh rate
G-sync compatible
16:9 or similar aspect ratio (definitely not ultra wide)

I don't care much about the technology (ie IPS vs TN). I've been searching for weeks and can only find 27" or 43" monitors that tick all of these boxes...does anyone know of any monitors that may not be released yet but are on the way meeting these requirements (assuming I'm just not finding one that already exists)? I've checked all of the "best monitor" articles, have used filters on various retailer sites (as well as pcpartpicker) but it's looking like there are no such monitors yet.

Many thanks for any feedback!

Solution
Unfortunately 27" seems the most popular size for 4K screens on desktops. There probably aren't many fabs capable of reliably producing the 144hz panels. I'm pretty sure the 43" and larger ones are TV panels being used as monitors instead.

The good news is that Viewsonic has announce a 32" 144hz 4K monitor for Q1 2021. There'll probably be a few others too. You'll just have to wait a little while longer.
Unfortunately 27" seems the most popular size for 4K screens on desktops. There probably aren't many fabs capable of reliably producing the 144hz panels. I'm pretty sure the 43" and larger ones are TV panels being used as monitors instead.

The good news is that Viewsonic has announce a 32" 144hz 4K monitor for Q1 2021. There'll probably be a few others too. You'll just have to wait a little while longer.

Solution

mbard

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
Thank you! I wasn't able to find anything about upcoming monitors...but I'll search for the virwsonic now. I can definitely wait until early next year 😀

If anyone knows of any other upcoming monitors and can link me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again

Edit: if anyone else is looking here is the viewsonic announcement: https://www.viewsonic.com/global/ne...ces-ELITE-32-inch-4K,-144Hz-Gaming-Monitor_49

Unfortunately it supports freesync but no g-sync which is one of my requirements.

mbard

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
We're getting there...Acer just announced a 28" display. Just a few more inches to go lol