Searching for Laptop Graphics Card

SWAT157

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011
Hey, I have never upgraded a laptop before, and I have no idea what type of graphic card I need to acquire for it. If anybody could suggest a card to look into for my Sony VAIO, that would be much appreciated!

You will not be able to upgrade the graphics in your Sony VAIO.

Only gaming laptops (starting at $1,500+) have the possibility of upgrading the video card. But even most gaming laptops will not allow you to upgrade the video card. Basically speaking, at least 98% of all laptops sold does not allow you to upgrade the video card. All Sony laptops falls in that category.

D

Deleted member 217926

^ +1

Your graphics "card" is actually soldered onto the motherboard and as such is not upgradeable.

Here goes my standard answer to this sort of question:

I don't think that laptop has MXM graphics card so you cannot swap it out.

You have two option:

1. vidock if you have expresscard slot or 2. you can open the computer and use the mini pcie connector, connect mini pcie connector to pcie x16 converter and a desktop psu for power. But I don't think you want to do number 2 because you have no mobility at all. Either way, your graphics card will be very bottlenecked by the bandwidth and they cost money which IMO is not worth it and is better spend on a desktop gaming build or a gaming laptop if you need mobile gaming.