[SOLVED] Seasonic 430w ECO and GTX1660 SUPER

Vyom21

Honorable
Aug 14, 2015
Hi,

I was wondering if it would be a bad idea to run the 1660S on my $60 Seasonic 430w ECO.

The GPU only draws like 120 from the PSU so I think I should be fine?

I have a 4460 and 8GB RAM, would considering upgrading to 10th gen Intel i5 (65W), don't think it will make any difference in terms of power consumption. If anything it should be lower since a faster CPU should spend less time completing the same task as my 4460.

Regards
Tom Foolery

Solution
Before Seasonic decided to go with Andyson

What now ?

Seasonic S12II always were manufactured by Seasonic, you might've mixed it with S12III which were made by RSY. S12II were good 8-10 years ago when DC-DC PSUs weren't such common and definitely weren't a necessity. DC-DC PSUs were still better than group regulated ones but crossloads where DC-DC PSUs shine weren't such common unless you had a very high-end system. Then when Intel Haswell CPUs released and introduced reduced power C6\C7 states crossloads became much more common situation. Also around this time GPUs started to pull much more power than before, mostly AMD ones and despite you had a relatively mid-end GPU it may have pulled 250W of power easily, combined with...

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
It's not a good idea, it's an old group regulated PSU but you can try it for now and replace it later when you'll upgrade your PC further or if you'll notice any instability with this config.

I agree with @What a shame, if this were a new build I wouldn't recommend it. However, if you're upgrading from an old system, the wattage is sufficient and the 430 Eco is still one if the better budget units of 3-4 years ago.

My guess is that it's fine. However, when you switch to 10th Gen, upgrade your PSU at the same time.

Before Seasonic decided to go with Andyson, the S12ii was considered a good budget unit despite using Group Regulation. Many people were still recommending it even 2 years ago in this forum. Gonna have to disagree with you on that one.

That being said, I would also suggest a PSU upgrade as i've previously stated.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Before Seasonic decided to go with Andyson

What now ?

Seasonic S12II always were manufactured by Seasonic, you might've mixed it with S12III which were made by RSY. S12II were good 8-10 years ago when DC-DC PSUs weren't such common and definitely weren't a necessity. DC-DC PSUs were still better than group regulated ones but crossloads where DC-DC PSUs shine weren't such common unless you had a very high-end system. Then when Intel Haswell CPUs released and introduced reduced power C6\C7 states crossloads became much more common situation. Also around this time GPUs started to pull much more power than before, mostly AMD ones and despite you had a relatively mid-end GPU it may have pulled 250W of power easily, combined with low load on minor rails which weren't used much for like 15 years now already this is also a crossload. Where group regulated have inherently inferior voltage regulation, some of them may still stay in specs but keep in mind that those specifications are really old too and with majority of DC-DC PSUs even cheap ones having way better voltage regulation there are no point in getting group regulated PSU today.

You tell me why people still recommend Seasonic S12II, it's not terrible but not good either, i'm fine with recommending it for APU system, maybe for low power dGPU like GT1030 or smth but not much more than that. And it's price usually isn't competitive either, you can get maybe a bit lower quality but better performing PSU because it's DC-DC, smth like Corsair CX450 for example.

Reactions: julienruc
Solution

Vyom21

Honorable
Aug 14, 2015
Alright, I don't want the 1650s, costs the same as the 1660s here right now. I will go for the 1660s but I don't want to set my PSU on fire. So I've also decided to buy a new PSU, I picked a cheap crappy one again; VS550. I won't buy it if it'll be an absolute no. I am guessing the CX550 should be OK, but just wondering if the VS550 is a bad choice for the same reason my Seasonic is a bad choice.

I understand that the PSU is the heart of your system and that's the last place you should be cheaping out on, but I feel guilty sometimes thinking that I could have spent more on my GPU/CPU instead of the PSU.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's a very good unit. Just be careful to get the right one. The Corsair CX was arguably the highest selling world-wide marketed psu line. Everybody had tons of stock. Then they upgraded a few years back, revamped every single wattage to a better platform. So there are even more units out there, many of the older versions still for sale at deep discount prices in the better stores, or barely lowered prices in the more unscrupulous.

It's easy to tell the difference. The old CX had a big, bubbly Green lettering on the side. The new CX has silver/grey and black. You don't want the old version. It was Far worse than the Seasonic S12-II line, the new CX is somewhat better.