[SOLVED] SeaSonic 550 Wattage Good For This Build?

Jun 25, 2020
Hello, I’m building my first pc and I’m wondering if a SeaSonic Focus GX-550 is enough for this build ? here are the parts:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor

Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard

G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory

Western Digital Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

MSI GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB VENTUS GP OC Video Card

Okay, First for the sake of disclosure, at another site I am known for PSU over kill. Now, as to the Wattage, Look at the Video Card and see what it requires. The important thing is if the GPU requires a Minimum of say 32a on the +12v Rail, you best make sure you have that much and a little more is better. The watts are secondary.

The watts and the amps, are the same damn thing. One gives you the other. If we're talking about a unit that cannot supply the advertised wattage, then that is a unit you shouldn't be considering ANYHOW, because it's a piece of crap.

There is much more to it than just the 32a for the graphics card plus a little headroom. There is much more including the motherboard itself, the CPU, drives, lighting, memory, waste, spikes, safe level for OCP and OVP (Because we know some cards currently have some issues in this regard) and that's without factoring in any additional overhead for the unit to fall in or around the 50-65% of capacity requirement so that it always runs cool and quiet OR any overclocking considerations.

But in general, as a baseline, the RealhardtechX recommendations are a result of REAL WORLD testing, and generally already allow a small margin of overhead for units that are not great, but are passably mediocre.

TRENDING THREADS