Seasonic 620w good enough for i5 4460 + gtx 770?

demzo

Reputable
May 13, 2014
Hey guys I had already ordered everything from a local shop but I have up to two days if I want some last minute changes. I ordered a Seasonic S12II 620w. now, while I was searching for parts, I kinda thought the 620w was enough. but last night I consulted 4 websites that had wattage calculators (msi, newegg, and two other sites I forgot) and two of them said I wouldn't go up 550w, but the latter two said I needed 688w and 700w. now I'm confused. should I be shopping for a 700-750w PSU? I won't OC nor SLI/CF.

complete specs:

Intel i5 4460
Gigabyte Z87M-D3H
8GB 4x2 Gskill Ares 1600
Zotac gtx 770
256GB Curcial M550 SSD
1TB WD Blue 7200rpm
CM Storm Enforcer
CM Hyper 212X
Tenda PCI WiFi antenna
4 CM fans (2 included in the case, 2 more bought)
Seasonic S12II 620w (hopefully)

on a side note, what do you think of this rig? will it be able to run most modern games on ultra with anti-aliasing turned off?

Solution
Primary question: Yes, you could probably run that build on the 520W version.

Secondary question: The build should max out most modern games with AA off and it looks pretty nice too. But since you won't and can't (because of the non-k CPU) overclock your CPU or do SLI, why get a Z87 board? I would personally change that to a H97 board if you can find one for the same price or for less. Then if you ever feel like getting a stronger CPU, you can just get a Broadwell CPU since the 97 boards support it.
Primary question: Yes, you could probably run that build on the 520W version.

Secondary question: The build should max out most modern games with AA off and it looks pretty nice too. But since you won't and can't (because of the non-k CPU) overclock your CPU or do SLI, why get a Z87 board? I would personally change that to a H97 board if you can find one for the same price or for less. Then if you ever feel like getting a stronger CPU, you can just get a Broadwell CPU since the 97 boards support it.

Solution

fricklesmn

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014
Hello,

I don't think you will need more than that 620W unit, Seasonic power supplies are some of the best on the market, and considering you have no intentions of OC or SLI you should be fine

demzo

Reputable
May 13, 2014

lol yes people have been asking me why i went with the z87. long story short, I ordered an h87, the guy at the shop thought i said z87. when i found out i was like "meh, gives me room for future upgrades if I wanted to by a K version later on" so I didn't complain. anyway, thank you for your answer :)

demzo

Reputable
May 13, 2014

thank you for confirming this. :)