Seasonic 650HT making clicking noise - Fan?

jjphillips002

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
My PSU is making a clicking noise every now and then. It seems as if it's the fan, but I can't tell for sure. It's a pretty rapid succession and doesn't seem like a relay click. Fan doesn't have anything in it as far as I can tell. I've had it apart since I got it on eBay - so it didn't have a SS RMA.

Before anyone says that it's likely a dud, I've had it for 6 months, and I've also had it apart. It's built solid inside, no weights or shitty wiring - it very much appears to be genuine.

Just wondering if anyone has had any similar problems and has any recommendations for how to test if the fan is making the noise. Don't really have a fan to test it with, and I don't feel comfortable not running it.

I will say, however, when I took it apart, it didn't click for like 2-3 days.

"Smart and Silent Fan Control [S2FC]"

I would assume that it is related to the fan being faulty or hitting something. Under little load these power supplies cut power to the fan having it shut down which would explain why you only hear the sound sometimes.

******DO NOT EVER OPEN A PSU UNLESS YOU ARE A ELECTRONIC EXPERT****

Or you will die. No joke. Horrible idea.

jjphillips002

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013

Sometimes it does it frequently. At times it seems consistent with system load, at others, not at all. I'm thinking maybe a bearing now that I've read some.

And I'm no expert, but I've had my fair share of experience. I kept my fingers to myself and to my fan and shorted out the caps. No significant amount of power seemed to be on them though.

Anyway, is there a way to turn this S2FC off? I don't mind fan noise as it's relatively quiet anyway. Or at least increase the PSU fan speed so it's not undervolting? I will look into replacing the fan - it seems really easy.

I believe that S2FC is programmed into the firmware of the device and is not change able. It could also be a bearing. If it is the bearing.. I would recommend a replacement! :) (I don't want to be the one to tell you to take it apart and try to replace it!)