Question Seasonic and Antec modular cables mixed up...

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
So I have an ancient Antec semi modular 650W bought in 2008
https://www.newegg.com/antec-neopower-650-blue-650w/p/N82E16817371010

and a less ancient Seasonic 1200W from 2012 for my teenager's gaming rig
https://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-SS-1250XM-ATX-Power-Supply/dp/B00607JLWU

And I did not know mixing up those modular cables is big no no until very recently.
I tried to get into the rigs and identify origin of the cables but it was not possible. Chance is I am using cables from one source, all from the Seasonic 1200W for both of the PSUs.
Is it OK to just leave them as it is since there is no problem from either of the rigs?
Anyone can confirm ANTEC and SEASONIC actually share their wiring design?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well that would be a fortunate coincidence. They do look awfully similar, it is possible the cables were made by the same supplier. If they haven't caught on fire by now, probably okay to leave them.

Frankly the 2008 supply should be replaced anyway, it is quite old, just get a new PSU for him before it dies on you and takes out something.

The Seasonic isn't much better in terms of age, but it is a very large supply, so there should be some buffer room in the main caps as they age.

So I have an ancient Antec semi modular 650W bought in 2008
https://www.newegg.com/antec-neopower-650-blue-650w/p/N82E16817371010

and a less ancient Seasonic 1200W from 2012 for my teenager's gaming rig
https://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-SS-1250XM-ATX-Power-Supply/dp/B00607JLWU

And I did not know mixing up those modular cables is big no no until very recently.
I tried to get into the rigs and identify origin of the cables but it was not possible. Chance is I am using cables from one source, all from the Seasonic 1200W for both of the PSUs.
Is it OK to just leave them as it is since there is no problem from either of the rigs?
Anyone can confirm ANTEC and SEASONIC actually share their wiring design?

Wow! That PSU is over a decade old. I guess you don't care if you kill all of your hardware?

That Antec is made by Seasonic. They probably leveraged their existing cable set.

Reactions: Eximo

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
That Antec is made by Seasonic. They probably leveraged their existing cable set.

Wait, what?? Antec PSU was made by Seasonic? I thought they were competitors like yankees-redsox? I am stunned.

Anyway that is a very fortunate coincidence for me I guess.

PSU's are working very well now and the 2008 Antec is powering 7600K + GTX1060 Fortnite machine right now... Wouldnt' mind losing that Z170 board but 1060 is still precious.... hmm time for PSU shopping it seems.

PSU's are working very well now

You've checked the output ripple with an oscilloscope and it's < 120mV?

Typically an older PSU works... until it doesn't.

Wait, what?? Antec PSU was made by Seasonic? I thought they were competitors like yankees-redsox? I am stunned.

Seasonic has a factory. Antec does not. Seasonic sells under their own brand as well as Antec, XFX, NZXT, Asus, Phanteks, EVGA.....

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Anyway that is a very fortunate coincidence for me I guess.

PSU's are working very well now and the 2008 Antec is powering 7600K + GTX1060 Fortnite machine right now... Wouldnt' mind losing that Z170 board but 1060 is still precious.... hmm time for PSU shopping it seems.
Unless you can go online and actually verify the pin outs are the same always error on the safe side and use the cables that came with the PSU.

And as from above when you get into actually who made the power supply their not a bunch of companies that make the quality units but their a bunch of different brands.

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
Wow! That PSU is over a decade old. I guess you don't care if you kill all of your hardware?
per your recommendation sir, I am about to hit the buy button for the RM650x 2018 model. Then I see RM650x 2021 version for much higher price. Can you please explain the differences (updates) that new version of RM650x 2021 offers? Is it worth the price difference?
Thank you in advance.

per your recommendation sir, I am about to hit the buy button for the RM650x 2018 model. Then I see RM650x 2021 version for much higher price. Can you please explain the differences (updates) that new version of RM650x 2021 offers? Is it worth the price difference?
Thank you in advance.

The "2021" has an ML fan.

If the "2018" is a lot less, then get the "2018" version.

Reactions: Pextaxmx

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
For the record, in case someone wonders the same thing,
I can confirm their molex and SATA power cables are identically wired.. I tested continuity combinations of pins of cables itself (not the PSU pinouts), confirmed identical. Even the way wires are heat-shrink wrapped looks the same. Wire color code same (except 2008 one has more faded orange lol). Another cosmetic difference is the snake sleeve much finer for 2008.
4 pin to 4 pin PCIE came with 2008 is not applicable to 2012 so no testing was needed.