Seasonic (Finally) Enters The Titanium Efficiency Club, Outs Several New PSUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valantar

Honorable
Nov 21, 2014
"As you can see, Seasonic decided to offer up to 850W Titanium units; that decision might seem strange considering that Super Flower has a 1.6 kW Titanium unit in its portfolio."

Only if you've bought into the ridiculous idea that only (increasingly rare) tri and quad GPU setups need or want high efficiency PSUs. Or, of course, the even dumber idea of buying ridiculously overpowered PSUs. That fanless 600W unit could probably run dual GTX 1080s in SLI with a <100W CPU, although it'd be getting close to max output when GPU power spikes (Tom's' own testing showed stock clocked 1080s averaging 173W under gaming loads, but spiking to ~300W). After all, what's the point of Titanium with its improved 10% load efficiency if that 10% is way beyond the idle power of your PC? Building a modern PC exceeding 1000W at non-power virus loads is really, really difficult.

PC components are making huge strides in efficiency. It's time the PSU industry got it's foot out of its a** and keep up. Lian-li's new SFX-L PSUs seem like a good evolution - smaller PSUs with decent efficiency and low noise are a must for modern form factors. Proliferation of low output, high efficiency PSUs are a huge step in the right direction too.

For me, the star of this line-up is the 450W Focus Platinum unit. From what I've seen, it's the first platinum efficiency unit offered at that low power - perfect for a high-end mainstream setup with a single GTX 1070 or 1080 (and probably Vega too), not to mention mainstream setups with R9 480s or GTX 1060s.

Valantar

Honorable
Nov 21, 2014

Yeah, would have loved to see that too. Seems we'll have to wait a while still, unfortunately. Although Platinum is still pretty good - when the alternative used to be Gold ...

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED
Where are the ATX 1450 watts of length 140 mm Seasonic ? why are you lazy on short PSU ?

it is possible to make !

we have 600 watts SFX power supply of Dimensions : 120x63x100

Thats 1260 mm^3 per watt

ATX power is 150x86x140 , should give you 1433 WATTS 140 length !

do it ! be smart , use dual chambers !!!

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

Actually server grade psu are very small and with high wattage ...

we have Titanium 1600 watts PSU in 86x40x196 size , which means we can have upto 6000 watts in ATX of length 196 today !!! 150x86x196

But they dont bring server grade technology to desktop sadly.

You're kidding me, right? If any manufacturer managed to cram a unit capable of 1450W in 140mm it'd probably suck=. A lot of stuff goes into PSU design, you know. If you even have hardware that will require even 1000W, no way in heckle-de-bob is your computer case going to be small and restricted to 140mm units. Sorry, but I'll stick to my units with very nice low ripple.

Anyway, this is awesome! It seems the Focus units are going to take over the G Series. I'm looking forward to the Prime Series, too.

Karlos101

Reputable
Sep 22, 2015
Anyone know if the Titanium and Platinum models are actually manufactured by Seasonic or if they are re-badge jobs?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Are any Seasonics made by anyone else? Seasonic, themselves, are/were an ODM (i.e. they make PSUs that others rebadge).

Karlos101

Reputable
Sep 22, 2015

Yeah i know they manufacture for other brands. but i swear i saw a list somewhere showing some of their range was manufactured from another OEM. i must have been having a brain fade, nevermind me, carry on.

Valantar

Honorable
Nov 21, 2014

Expecting power per volume to grow linearly shows that you don't understand how the insides of PSUs work. No matter how tightly you pack them, there are discrete components inside that simply aren't made to fit together well - and they need cooling. Servers use stacks of high pressure - and MASSIVELY noisy - fans to keep cool. This would be unacceptable to any desktop user. Do you want your PSU to produce 60-70 dBa? Didn't think so. Also, you need to count in the space needed for modular connectors, internal fans (most server PSUs rely on easily replaceable fans in the server chassis), and other end-user features that servers don't need.

Also, why on earth would you want a 2000+W PSU? There are NO components on the market today that would fit inside a regular PC that could draw this much power. Dual socket Xeon and Quad-SLI? Barely averaging above 1000W. Add in 15 HDDs, and you're still nowhere near 2000. And 6KW? You know you'd need to rewire your house for that, right?

PCs are becoming ever more efficient, requiring less power for more performance. PSUs should follow suit, not go in the ridiculous ultra-macho "POOOOWWWAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!" direction you're positing. There simply is no need - or use - for that.

Kewlx25

Distinguished

I like to periodically replace my PSUs every 3-4 years. Starting a collection of Seasonics or rebranded Seasonics.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Someone should throw them on a test bench and see how well they hold up, over time.

That'd be an interesting thing for reviewers to do. Take PSUs that have been in hard labor and retest them and see how they've changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.