[SOLVED] Seasonic Focus+ 650w Platinum Cert - high temperatures while gaming

jamdrelik

Reputable
May 6, 2019
So yeah, my unbrand 500w PSU that I had before, was way cooler under load than this Seasonic Focus+

I7 8700k
GTX 1070
16GB Ram corsair
Seasonic Focus 650w Platinum

The GPU and CPU temps are quite normal (but under max settings in The Witcher 3 the gpu goes up to 80 (77c when I set fan speed to 75%)c, normally it's around 70c in AC odyssey
The CPU is around 60 and 70c (non OC)
Note that I left the Side Panel open (kinda, the Noctua cooler is 0,5mm too big for my current case. I'm waiting for my new case)so the temps would probably be even worse when it's closed (.

Could the PSU's hybrid mode be the cause?
I'm trying to check the Manual and see if I can find some temp readings.
Is there a way to control the PSU fan speed manually?

It's strange because the unbrand PSU from before did perform way cooler under same circumstances

Solution
Well, yes.
I'm not entirely sure how to take your response. Arrogance or Sarcasm?
For now I'd like to believe it's neither, since you've paid my thread a visit, which is much appreciated.

But it is not funny, really. not at all.
Asking question after question like some sort of mental degenerate, but what should I do, official support is like "RMA this, RMA that" (PSU has warranty, though) so you Guys are my best bet.

@jonnyguru: As jankerson said, there's a Fan on the CPU cooler.
Sorry for not taking a better picture.
There probably are people destroying their CPU like that and after all those problems I've had I can't really blame you for thinking I'm one those.

The CPU/GPU temps are pretty much normal, though.
AC...
In general....your PSU should have nothing to do with your GPU and CPU temps.

....and I don't see anything abnormal with your temps.

:It's strange because the unbrand PSU from before did perform way cooler under same circumstances :

WHAT was cooler? The GPU and CPU were cooler with that PSU?

If so....I would suspect that PSU was running lower voltage(s).

Reactions: TJ Hooker

jamdrelik

Reputable
May 6, 2019
:It's strange because the unbrand PSU from before did perform way cooler under same circumstances :

WHAT was cooler? The GPU and CPU were cooler with that PSU?

I wrote "the unbrand PSU" performed better/cooler than my curren seasonic, not the GPU and CPU, they were fine.
and just for the record I did not say that GPU/CPU temps are directly tied to PSU, but rather that my current PSU is so hot it is affecting the whole Case and therefore the CPU and GPU temps.
It's hot and my brain is melting, but I'm trying to be more precise in the future. :)

I'm going to try disabling Hybrid mode and hwinfo for temp reading

I appreciate your advise

I wrote "the unbrand PSU" performed better/cooler than my curren seasonic, not the GPU and CPU, they were fine.
and just for the record I did not say that GPU/CPU temps are directly tied to PSU, but rather that my current PSU is so hot it is affecting the whole Case and therefore the CPU and GPU temps.
It's hot and my brain is melting, but I'm trying to be more precise in the future. :)

I'm going to try disabling Hybrid mode and hwinfo for temp reading

I appreciate your advise
Ah.....I think I understand now. The PSU is running hot.
I find it odd that a Seasonic would run hot. They have a very good rep.
How hot is it when you touch it?
The most I would think it should get is "warm".
If it's too hot to touch continuously....I think that's too hot.

Reactions: jamdrelik

jamdrelik

Reputable
May 6, 2019
Yeah, that's what I mean.

So, I guess it is normal or I need to adjust the airflow of my case, but maybe the new bigger case will resolve this issue, thought I could somehow manage it with my currend midi-tower, but I can basically feel the hot air sitting around.

Thank you for your help and time.

So, I guess it is normal or I need to adjust the airflow of my case, but maybe the new bigger case will resolve this issue, thought I could somehow manage it with my currend midi-tower, but I can basically feel the hot air sitting around.

You're welcome....and sorry for the misunderstanding.
Also....if you PC is "out of the way" (as in...nothing will fall in there)....you can run with the case open. I do this fairly often.

It will also give you some indication if you can use more case cooling....like if the temps are much cooler with the case open....you could probably use more case cooling.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
How are you measuring the temperatures of your old and new PSUs?

Did you change anything else when you replaced components? I don't quite understand your first post, are you saying your CPU and GPU are around 10 degrees hotter than they were previously under load? Are you using the same load to check as you were before? How long ago did you take the measurements with your old PSU?

jamdrelik

Reputable
May 6, 2019
Still having that issue

@T.J.: I already explained it, but here we go: the only reason I mentioned my gpu and cpu is because I've suspected the psu is causing hot air in my case and that is why my cpu and gpu got hotter as well.

But that problem was solved with an well placed case fan, only the seasonic PSU is still heating up.

it's nearly hot enough to burn my hand, it is not comfortable to touch it, so a good step above "warm" I don't know how to measure it exactly (is there a software for measuring?), but that is too hot.

one of two problems I can't solve at the moment

It's not that the PSU is running hot. It's that your old PSU was part of the cooling configuration of your PC.

You just need to layout your cooling better.

What case are you using?

jamdrelik

Reputable
May 6, 2019
but as far as I know the old noname psu was working in the exact same way as the seasonic I've got now.
but still you're probably right.

I've got some pictures you may want to take a look and tell me what I'm doing wrong.
The last two pictures (and while you're at it, do you know how it's possible that a standoff at the back of my motherboard got this redstuff on it? is it rust? I'm also having a buzzing noise over headphones, too (look at the pic with the psu, the cable directly above it, slightly touching it, is the cable connecting to the front, in my other thread someone suggested it could be a grounding issue, no one managed to answer after I've provided more information, so I'm asking whoever I find until other users find the time to answer) :
View: https://imgur.com/a/0m7Hb4b#rhD8b4U

What I did: I've ordered a Case-Fan for behind the cpu-cooling-tower, but I doubt that this is going to be enough
Best regards~

but as far as I know the old noname psu was working in the exact same way as the seasonic I've got now.
but still you're probably right.

The PSU fan is going to run based on the PSU temperature. The Focus is a more efficient PSU that runs a lot cooler than your old crappy PSU, so the fan is not going to run as much or as fast.

I've got some pictures you may want to take a look and tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Everything. You're doing everything wrong. You only have an intake PSU, no fan on your CPU cooler and no exhaust fan other than the PSU fan? It's a miracle that PC works at all.

What I did: I've ordered a Case-Fan for behind the cpu-cooling-tower, but I doubt that this is going to be enough

Good. It should be. For now, take your intake fan and move it to the back and I bet that alone will drop temperatures significantly.

The PSU fan is going to run based on the PSU temperature. The Focus is a more efficient PSU that runs a lot cooler than your old crappy PSU, so the fan is not going to run as much or as fast.

Everything. You're doing everything wrong. You only have an intake PSU, no fan on your CPU cooler and no exhaust fan other than the PSU fan? It's a miracle that PC works at all.

Good. It should be. For now, take your intake fan and move it to the back and I bet that alone will drop temperatures significantly.

He needs an exhaust fan for sure.

There is a fan on the CPU cooler, it's a Noctua NH U12S.

jamdrelik

Reputable
May 6, 2019
Oh I know, he has issues.
Well, yes.
For now I'd like to believe it's neither, since you've paid my thread a visit, which is much appreciated.

Asking question after question like some sort of mental degenerate, but what should I do, official support is like "RMA this, RMA that" (PSU has warranty, though) so you Guys are my best bet.

There probably are people destroying their CPU like that and after all those problems I've had I can't really blame you for thinking I'm one those.

AC Odyssey on max settings is running at 75 max., but most of the time it is sitting around 60 and 65c, while my CPU never goes above 55c (maybe 60c - non-oc of course),

But the PSU is hot (only when Gaming) .
I've left the side panel open for testing purposes and it is still very hot, almost like when you touch a still hot cup of coffee.
Wouldn't a case fan only help CPU and GPU?
But maybe that is normal and I'm worrying over nothing.

Greetings

Well, yes.

AC Odyssey on max settings is running at 75 max., but most of the time it is sitting around 60 and 65c, while my CPU never goes above 55c (maybe 60c - non-oc of course),

I've left the side panel open for testing purposes and it is still very hot, almost like when you touch a still hot cup of coffee.

Greetings

You don't need an RMA, you need better case cooling and or a better case.

jamdrelik

Reputable
May 6, 2019
Yes, you're right, now the PSU is almost cold even when under load, it is not even really warm.
Thank you.

One last (3) importan question remains:
Why am I having buzzing/humming over my headphones and if it is due to grounding issues will it harm my components or reduce their lifespan?
Is buying a new and maybe better multi-socket enough?
And what is that Red stuff on the screw?

That is basically the last problem I'm facing, everything else is now working as it should.
And I'm starting to feel a bit less noobish.

Well, yes.

Greetings

I know what you're saying. But maybe I need to be more clear....

The PSU is hot not because the PSU is generating more heat. Your PSU is hot because all of the heat from your PC is being jammed into the PSU because the PSU is the only exhaust fan in the PC.

Please move the intake fan from the front of your case and make it an exhaust fan behind the CPU and you'll see significant temperature drops. A PC benefits more from negative pressure and right now you have an abundance of positive pressure.

Solution

jamdrelik

Reputable
May 6, 2019
Yes, Sir.
I've installed an intake fan ~1h+ ago (got it from a friend) and it's pretty cool now.
I won't forget that lesson.

Thank you for your time and attention, I appreciate it.