[SOLVED] Seasonic Focus Gold 450W

swissc

Honorable
Nov 10, 2018
What are these PSU like?
Currently I am having issues when gaming that the PC freezes completely and has to be rebooted. This only happens when gaming and not at other times. Between the PSU and graphics card I think the problem lies with the PSU as I have had a number of issues with this build in the past. Do you think it is likely that the graphics card has also been damaged?

Solution
I have always been a big believer in choosing a PSU that has at least 30% more power than my maximum calculated load. It provides margin of error in case you miscalculate or upgrade, and it puts less stress on the PSU. It can also affect noise as most PSU's are louder a approach max load. Now 450 does break that threshold, assuming your calculations are correct, but my personal preference would be in the 500 to 600 watt range for a gaming system.
Can you list your rig specs?
Or is it the same as your signature?
If so, yes, I will upgrade the psu for sure.
budget for the psu and country?
How much is the focus 450? If not too expensive, it will be good. However, I will get 550+ to allow future upgrades.

_aesix_

Prominent
Aug 26, 2019
Yeah, rig is same as in specs.
It is currently available for CHF68.50 (https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/produc...450w-power-supply-computer-11163036?tagIds=76).
Focus Plus Gold (550w) is CHF85.

I'm not sure but the problem might lie with your parts not being supplied with enough power especially the GPU, I'd rather buy the PSU from Amazon or Newegg since they have better prices and better deals. I've been to Switzerland and a lot of stuff there is very very very expensive and I'm sure you would know that as well.

swissc

Honorable
Nov 10, 2018
@_aesix_, total power draw according to pcpartpicker is 311W so I assumed that a 400W supply would be ample, even with upgrades I do not see any significant powers increase (unless I add something stupid like a 11gb RTX2080).
Electronics are actually not so bad in CH as tax is only 8%, I don't see an other PSU in same price range on Amazon.de or Newegg.

I have always been a big believer in choosing a PSU that has at least 30% more power than my maximum calculated load. It provides margin of error in case you miscalculate or upgrade, and it puts less stress on the PSU. It can also affect noise as most PSU's are louder a approach max load. Now 450 does break that threshold, assuming your calculations are correct, but my personal preference would be in the 500 to 600 watt range for a gaming system.

Solution