Question Seasonic Focus Plus 650w vs 750w | Ryzen 3900x & RTX 2080 Super

Nervly

Honorable
Sep 7, 2016
Hello!

Currently planning a build for the end of the month, here's what it looks like:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3XRJsZ

The only thing that's left is deciding on the PSU. I'm getting the Seasonic Focus Plus, however, I don't know if I should go for 650w (94€) or 750w (109€), especially considering I've had both recommended. I don't plan on overclocking, as least for now, but I want to have the headroom for it in case I do decide to OC in the future. This rig will mainly be used for VR Gaming with some streaming and video editing/rendering along with digital art and light usage of Blender and Unity, What do you think? Which option is preferable and why?

Also, I looked at the Corsair RM650x/750x as well, but the Seasonic still appears to be the favorite one amongst people, what's your opinion?

Thank you in advance,
- Nervly

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
There is little to seperate them really. They both offer 10 year warranties, both have excellent support, and great quality units.

I've always personally opted for Seasonic because their product is usually excellent and I've always found better support from their team, Corsair ae also excellent, but Seasonic have always been better locally for me.

I currently run a Seasonic FOCUS Plus Gold and it is excellent and includes the toggle hybrid fan control.

Nervly

Honorable
Sep 7, 2016
I would recommend the RMX 650W or 750W, would be quieter.

But the Seasonic Focus Plus is good also.
There is little to seperate them really. They both offer 10 year warranties, both have excellent support, and great quality units.

I've always personally opted for Seasonic because their product is usually excellent and I've always found better support from their team, Corsair ae also excellent, but Seasonic have always been better locally for me.

I currently run a Seasonic FOCUS Plus Gold and it is excellent and includes the toggle hybrid fan control.

Thanks for your replies!

What would you recommend between 650w and 750w in that case?

yaxy123

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017
650W is enough since you are going to draw 497W at load (without OC) 579W with 4.3GHz OC, 650W is enough as long as you don't plan on adding a 2nd GPU in the future in that case 850W is what you should be looking at minimum. If you plan on upgrading GPU and you wanna stay on the safe side in case they up the wattage by 50 which is unlikely you should get the 750W.

Edit: My bad the OC is for a 3700X applied to a 3900X, the result should be similar but keep that in mind.