Oct 19, 2018
My build is :
Cpu : i5 9600kf
Gpu : rtx 2060
Mb : z390 M
Ssd : 250gb
Hdd : 1tb
Ram : 2X8GB 3000mhz

I don’t know if I should buy Corsair TX650M full modular or seasonic focus gold 650w semi Modular (5$ more) , the full modular seasonic focus is 35$ more so it doesn’t worth it .
Can I get your help here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
The Core series looks a lot like the Focus, with a few changes, at least on the coil wraps etc. From teardowns on a Chinese site, they look extremely similar. But if course the translator was semi-useless. Did see a bunch of Rubycon caps though.

So I would hazard a guess that the Core and Focus are similar enough to be the same thing, just with options if you prefer hard, semi or full modular.

As to that, there's only one real bonus to full modular over semi modular, and that only happens during install or removal. Full is somewhat easier and doesn't require undoing hours of wiring just to get the box out of the case. Hardwire is a benefit in some tiny cases, as psu clearances on depth don't take modular connections into...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Updated your title, to make the question clearer - as Corsair do not "make" PSUs, they have various suppliers/platforms. SeaSonic do "make" (or outsource, to their design) their ow.

On raw outright quality it's Focus+ > Focus > TX650M, IMO
But even then, the TX650M is a quality unit itself and I'd have no concerns running it with that hardware.
Realistically, if the 550W variant of any of those PSUs are available to you for cheaper, they would be more than adequate too.

orelabergelveg

Reputable
Oct 19, 2018
Updated your title, to make the question clearer - as Corsair do not "make" PSUs, they have various suppliers/platforms. SeaSonic do "make" (or outsource, to their design) their ow.

On raw outright quality it's Focus+ > Focus > TX650M, IMO
But even then, the TX650M is a quality unit itself and I'd have no concerns running it with that hardware.
Realistically, if the 550W variant of any of those PSUs are available to you for cheaper, they would be more than adequate too.
but if ill want to overclock in the future , wont It be better if I have 650W instead of 550w?
also , the focus plus (650W) is only available with the semi modular version which costs 130$ in my country and the TX650M is fully modular and costs 125$ ..
which should I buy ?
and is semi modular that different from fully ? I know that its the important cables that are fully attached like the MB 24pin cable

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
but if ill want to overclock in the future , wont It be better if I have 650W instead of 550w?

You have a CPU that, OC'd to 5GHz should peak at 180W under a torture loop.
A 2060, out of the box, peaks ~160W under a torture loop.
So unless your OC turns that GPU from a 160W power draw to 370W (it can't), 550W is more than adequate.

If the price difference is negligible, then I would opt for the 650W variant.

also , the focus plus (650W) is only available with the semi modular version which costs 130$ in my country and the TX650M is fully modular and costs 125$ ..
which should I buy ?
and is semi modular that different from fully ? I know that its the important cables that are fully attached like the MB 24pin cable

No, not really. Semi modular will have the bare necessity cables pre-connected and cannot be removed. For 99% of users, they'll need those cables connected anyway. Typically it's a CPU/EPS 4+4pin, ATX 24pin, and a 6 or 6+2 PCIe connector. With a modern system with a motherboard, a CPU and a GPU requiring a minimum of a 6pin PCIe connector, you're using those cables anyway.

At $125 vs $130, I'd personally take the Focus Gold, semi-modular unit over the TX650M - but if either the TX550M or Focus/Focus+ 550W are available for less, I'd opt for it instead.

Reactions: King_V

orelabergelveg

Reputable
Oct 19, 2018
There are 3 options in the story that I consider :
TX650M 650W 80+ gold fully modular - 124$
Seasonic gold 80+ core series 650W semi modular - 124$
Seasonic gold 80+ core series 650W fully modular - 131$

Im buying my build tomorrow , what should I go for ?
also what is the difference between seasonic focus vs seasonic core series ?
and is the difference between modular and semi modular important or they are the same for my build since ill be using the pre attached cables anyway(?)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The Core series looks a lot like the Focus, with a few changes, at least on the coil wraps etc. From teardowns on a Chinese site, they look extremely similar. But if course the translator was semi-useless. Did see a bunch of Rubycon caps though.

So I would hazard a guess that the Core and Focus are similar enough to be the same thing, just with options if you prefer hard, semi or full modular.

As to that, there's only one real bonus to full modular over semi modular, and that only happens during install or removal. Full is somewhat easier and doesn't require undoing hours of wiring just to get the box out of the case. Hardwire is a benefit in some tiny cases, as psu clearances on depth don't take modular connections into consideration. A hard set will bend out of the way in far shorter depth, you really don't want to stress the modular connections too much with hard turns.

So each has benefits and weaknesses, but it'll all boil down to which works better for you. In many modern cases there's even a psu shroud included, to cover up all that ugliness, so really makes no difference at all with modular or not, except during install/removal.

Solution