[SOLVED] Seasonic M12II 520W bronze opinion

1Sh00t

Honorable
May 31, 2014
Hi guys,
Currently I am running on PSU marked in thread subject. My current setup is following i5 6600k and Rx480. In next month I am going to replace it with R5 3600XT, AIO CPU cooler and RTX3070. My question is would my current PSU handle this setup? All power consumption calculators shows that I do not need bigger PSU than 500W, although I am bit worried as NVidia suggest minimum 650W PSU, on the other hand all tests shows that such PC build should not fetch more then 350W from the wall. Any ideas what to do? If I need to replace PSU should i go for some 650/750W or maybe some top tier 550W? Power efficiency is quite important for me because except of gaming I am also working as analyst for at least 8 to 9h PC is utlized for work.
Best,
1Sh00t

Solution
at those power levels the efficiency is negligible, unless you need that 3070 at 100% for your job. I find a quiet PSU much more important in that regard.

the M12II is quite an old and by now outdated platform however. noisy, group regulated and has some undeniable weaknesses. but it should work nonetheless.

bottom line: it depends a bit on your budget and the age of the unit. If you bought this PSU prior to 2015 I'd replace it with a modern quality unit, probably 650W so in case you're upgrading within the next 10 years the PSU's still good.
if you need a few months to get the funds to replace it it's most likely no problem either.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
how old is the unit? that unit came with 5 years coverage. if it is older than 5 and out of warranty I suggest replacement. do not risk fancy and new parts with a questionable power supply.
that is an older design and if efficiency is important to you there are more modern units that are more efficient across the board, not just the mid wattages,
Corsair CX-550 as an example of a newer more efficient unit with the same warranty as the M12II.

Reactions: 1Sh00t
at those power levels the efficiency is negligible, unless you need that 3070 at 100% for your job. I find a quiet PSU much more important in that regard.

the M12II is quite an old and by now outdated platform however. noisy, group regulated and has some undeniable weaknesses. but it should work nonetheless.

bottom line: it depends a bit on your budget and the age of the unit. If you bought this PSU prior to 2015 I'd replace it with a modern quality unit, probably 650W so in case you're upgrading within the next 10 years the PSU's still good.
if you need a few months to get the funds to replace it it's most likely no problem either.

Reactions: 1Sh00t
Solution

1Sh00t

Honorable
May 31, 2014
The PSU has more than 4 years, so if I still got warranty I would consider myself as lucky. Do you think that going for 650W can be taken as futureproofing or better 750W? Found something like this Fractal Design Ion 660W 80 Plus Platinum, is it worth considering?