Question Seasonic M12II Evo Edition 620W enough for RX Vega 64 and Ryzen 3600 CPU

Jul 11, 2019
Hi folks,
I have right now a ryzen 5 1600 overclocked to 3.8 Ghz and a RX 570. but I really wanted to upgrade the CPU to the new Ryzen 5 3600 and the GPU to a RX Vega 64. Do you think my Seasonic M12II Evo Edition 620W, is capable of providing enough power headroom for my build?
Also have a question related with the Asus Strix RX Vega 64, heard that there was a problem with the cooler and the VRMS, do you know if it's already fixed?
Thanks for the help!
Condescadins

My rig:
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
MSI B350 Gaming Plus
16Gb Ram DDR4 GSkill Ripjaws V 3000 Mhz
Kingston M.2 SSD 128 Gb
WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 rpm 64 mb cache
MSI Gaming X RX 570 4gb GDDR5
Seasonic M12 Evo Full Modular 620W

Hi folks,
I have right now a ryzen 5 1600 overclocked to 3.8 Ghz and a RX 570. but I really wanted to upgrade the CPU to the new Ryzen 5 3600 and the GPU to a RX Vega 64. Do you think my Seasonic M12II Evo Edition 620W, is capable of providing enough power headroom for my build?
Also have a question related with the Asus Strix RX Vega 64, heard that there was a problem with the cooler and the VRMS, do you know if it's already fixed?
Thanks for the help!
Condescadins

My rig:
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
MSI B350 Gaming Plus
16Gb Ram DDR4 GSkill Ripjaws V 3000 Mhz
Kingston M.2 SSD 128 Gb
WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 rpm 64 mb cache
MSI Gaming X RX 570 4gb GDDR5
Seasonic M12 Evo Full Modular 620W

While 620W is enough wattage, it's an old topology (double forward and w/o DC to DC) that I've seen have problems with monster cards like the Vega 64. Vega 64 has some mad transient power spikes during certain games and benchmarks and PSUs with hard switching will suffer.

Jul 11, 2019
While 620W is enough wattage, it's an old topology (double forward and w/o DC to DC) that I've seen have problems with monster cards like the Vega 64. Vega 64 has some mad transient power spikes during certain games and benchmarks and PSUs with hard switching will suffer.
So do I really have to buy another PSU? I thought the M12II was a good Power Supply. but I heard that the Vega 64 needed a really powerful PSU.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I'm in the EU, but i really didn't want to waste much money on another PSU...

I have a Vega 64 and a 1800X. It is going to beat the hell out of that PSU. I have to agree with everyone else here, buying a PSU to properly power your system/GPU is not a "waste of money" its an investment in safety. A lot cheaper to buy a $80 PSU than replace a $500 GPU if you damage it.

Reactions: jonnyguru

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Just iterating what all of the above have said:
Honestly, as much as it might be a pain, we don't recommend more expensive PSUs because we want you to spend more money or for "FPS" for example.

You really do need to spend more. Cheap PSUs use lower grade OEM manufacturers and use cheap components which risk the safety of your other components. And the last thing you should scrimp on, is the component that literally provides direct power to your entire system.

Cheap PSUs = Cheap Components = Risk to your rig.
If you don't have the money now, save up.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY27LkiEROg&feature=youtu.be

If a PSU blows and takes out other components (which Cheap PSUs often do) - any warranty you have will not cover the rest of your components.
Honestly you can spend a little bit now, and potentially run the risk of this happening, or save for a bit, and pay for a PSU knowing it comes with a better warranty and protects the rest of your PC should worst case happens. We have a common saying:
“Despite whatever money you save on a cheap PSU now, it will cost you more when it fails later”
You can get a cheap PSU if you want, but you do so at your own risk. We say so because the last thing we would want is for you to pay this money anyway, for it to damage other components, getting a good quality PSU means you can rest knowing the PSU should work for the next few years without issue. And it really does pay to save and get a good quality unit.

So in reality, it is up to you my friend, but if you really care about your components, save and get a good quality unit and you won't regret it!

Last edited:
Just wondering why you want a vega64 when you could get the newer 5700/xt. If you went for the newer gpu you wouldn't need a psu upgrade i don't think, as it uses less power. The Seasonic unit you have is a good unit, but why not just get a newer more efficient gpu to be safe? Having said all this, how old is your PSU? if its over 6 years old i'd just look into replacing it anyways, as capacitors degrade over time and it will not put out 620w any more.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Just wondering why you want a vega64 when you could get the newer 5700/xt. If you went for the newer gpu you wouldn't need a psu upgrade i don't think, as it uses less power. The Seasonic unit you have is a good unit, but why not just get a newer more efficient gpu to be safe? Having said all this, how old is your PSU? if its over 6 years old i'd just look into replacing it anyways, as capacitors degrade over time and it will not put out 620w any more.

Have to agree, even as a Vega 64 owner. Looking around they go for about $399 which is the same price as a 5700XT, yet the XT is faster and nowhere near as power hungry.

5700XT is a way better choice.