[SOLVED] Seasonic power supply cables interchangeable ?? with newer and older models ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ali1278

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2014
I bought a "opened but never used" GX 1300W Prime Seasonic Gold 80+ from ebay from Scan computers (well known and reliable PC shop in UK) it was very cheap, but the only problem is that it had a few less cables than I desired, I already own a M12II Evo 850W bronze 80+ with all the cable set, I was wondering if the cables are interchangeable ? as the M12II Evo is a old discontinued unit compared to the GX 1300 Prime. What I found on the official Seasonic website is this:

https://seasonic.com/cable-compatibility

If you scroll all the way down to discontinued series, you will see the M12II Evo showing green dots on all compatible cable reference numbers and the same can be soon in the GX Prime series (if you scroll all the way up) so just to make 100% sure are these two cables interchangeable ? and if worst come scenario what will happen ? PSU will auto shut off ? and not burn my rig down or components ? or start a fire ? do PSU have some safety feature in this scenario, just in case ?

And what is the difference between the older M12II cables with the newer models like GX 1300 prime ? any significant improvements ? Also when I check my M12II cable reference numbers it says something like; (for example on the PCIE-E connectors:) "1G13" but on the website it shows reference numbers as "xG13" I,m assuming the "x" does not mean much right ? the "x" just means some batch number or something, the "G13" is the important one to look out for ??

Kind Regards

Solution
I think you have a case for returning the unit.
"open box" implies that all included components are there.
If the post said missing cables, then you are stuck.
The post did say missing cables and listed exactly which ones (motherboard, 2x cpu, 2x pcie, 2x sata), thats why its so cheap (like 100 pounds off new), but the unit is like new and never used, but i managed to make it work and im using it right now, i used the motherboard, cpu, pcie cables from the new unit (prime ultra gold 1300w) and used the sata and molex from the M12ii Evo psu (old unit) and all is working fine, I asked seasonic support if these two psu version cables are interchangeable and they said yes, both psu units use the same pin out, i also asked if the...

Lutfij

Titan
and if worst come scenario what will happen ? PSU will auto shut off ?
You damage the PSU.

Pinouts can and will change with revisions of a product. They end up being silent updates as well. IMHO, people who fabricate their own harnesses are people who invest in units with missing cables.

Where "x" in the label reference can be any letter.
^ if you look through the bottom of the page you provided.
so to that degree and the info shown on the chart, it looks like they're compatible. I've had to deal with some Seasonic units whereby people interchanged cables from an older Seasonic unit. Ended up frying their entire system, so if you will tread carefully. Perhaps contact Seasonic as well.

Also when I check my M12II cable reference numbers it says something like; (for example on the PCIE-E connectors:) "1G13" but on the website it shows reference numbers as "xG13" I,m assuming the "x" does not mean much right ? the "x" just means some batch number or something, the "G13" is the important one to look out for ??

ali1278

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2014
and if worst come scenario what will happen ? PSU will auto shut off ?
You damage the PSU.

Pinouts can and will change with revisions of a product. They end up being silent updates as well. IMHO, people who fabricate their own harnesses are people who invest in units with missing cables.

^ if you look through the bottom of the page you provided.
so to that degree and the info shown on the chart, it looks like they're compatible. I've had to deal with some Seasonic units whereby people interchanged cables from an older Seasonic unit. Ended up frying their entire system, so if you will tread carefully. Perhaps contact Seasonic as well.

"I've had to deal with some Seasonic units whereby people interchanged cables from an older Seasonic unit. Ended up frying their entire system, so if you will tread carefully. Perhaps contact Seasonic as well. " - damn thats a scary thought, i bought this psu after looking up the compatibility charts and thought oh well if it says on the official website i'll go with it, are you sure the people who fried their pcs, actually used models of seasonic that were compatible compared to the website i gave ? .. I have also contacted seasonic and waiting for their answer, i think i might made a mistake buying it like this lol (me and my adventurous, [redacted]), the thing is it has all the cables i need except the molex cables which i need to power the fans, i dont know if thats a big deal. Ive also checked on seasonic website and other places where they might sell cable bundles only but no luck so far

Last edited by a moderator:
If you scroll all the way down to discontinued series, you will see the M12II Evo showing green dots on all compatible cable reference numbers and the same can be soon in the GX Prime series (if you scroll all the way up) so just to make 100% sure are these two cables interchangeable ?
Except for X-series KM/FL and Syncro/Syncro connect, all cables are interchangeable.

ali1278

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2014
i need except the molex cables which i need to power the fans,
You're probably going about that in the wrong order. Who works with fans that are driven with molex connectors in 2022?
really is that thing now ? i havent made a pc for like 10 years i came from asus m5a99fx with fx 8350 to a asus strix e gaming, 3900x, so i wasnt aware of this, i have like 7 fans running that need to be connected to pc via molex and they dont have the motherboard connections and they all case fans

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
really is that thing now ? i havent made a pc for like 10 years i came from asus m5a99fx with fx 8350 to a asus strix e gaming, 3900x, so i wasnt aware of this, i have like 7 fans running that need to be connected to pc via molex and they dont have the motherboard connections and they all case fans
How many more cables could you need LOL. You can buy Molex splitter cables.

https://seasonic.com/prime-gx#cables

Cable typeConnector(s) per cableTotal Length (mm)Number(s) of cable(s) included
MB (24/20 pins)16101
CPU (8/4 pins)16502
PCIe (8/6 pins)27501
PCIe (8/6 pins)17506
SATA48102
SATA48601
SATA47600
SATA27000
SATA25700
SATA24700
SATA24501
Molex36901
Molex24701
Molex to SATA 3.3 Adapter23001
Molex to FDD Adapter11010

Last edited:

ali1278

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2014
Well this is the email i got from Seasonic support...

"Thank you for contacting Seasonic.

For the compatibility of cables between current PRIME GX and M12II? it will be only possible with the latest version of the M12II that was the Evo version. Older models of M12II won't be compatible.

Any other question, please let us know.
Thank you. "

And I confirm I have the Evo edition model

ali1278

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2014
How many more cables could you need LOL. You can buy Molex splitter cables.

https://seasonic.com/prime-gx#cables

Cable typeConnector(s) per cableTotal Length (mm)Number(s) of cable(s) included
MB (24/20 pins)16101
CPU (8/4 pins)16502
PCIe (8/6 pins)27501
PCIe (8/6 pins)17506
SATA48102
SATA48601
SATA47600
SATA27000
SATA25700
SATA24700
SATA24501
Molex36901
Molex24701
Molex to SATA 3.3 Adapter23001
Molex to FDD Adapter11010
lol yeh well it came with 1 motherboard, 2 cpu, 2 pcie-e, 2 sata, so enough for basic stuff, but i needed molex and maybe pci-e for the future
thanks for that amazon link btw

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

ali1278

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2014
Then you bought a open box or a return because you should of got a bunch more cables.

I would contact Scam that sold it.

https://seasonic.com/pub/media/cata...815c2a4b231/p/r/prime-gx-1300-accessories.jpg

Well they were sold by Scan computers on Ebay, which are very reputable company in UK, i bought lots of stuff from them, and they have a 100 percent feedback, this is direct link to the product if it shows up anymore as i already bought it: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325265577689

They said it was taken from a "cancelled customer build"

Anyways i got the psu delivered to me like 15 minutes ago, but i see a problem already, the cables are marked as xg40 (pci-e), xj23 (motherboard), xe28 (CPU) now these are the ones with a built in "inline capacitor", which is mentioned on seasonic website: https://seasonic.com/cable-compatibility (right at the bottom)

So I dont know if they gave me wrong cables or its ok to use lol, cause it doesnt show in the compatibility list for the PRIME model or the M12ii models in the website i gave u above, so I have recontacted Seasonic to see what they say, lol this is getting messy now.

ali1278

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2014
I think you have a case for returning the unit.
"open box" implies that all included components are there.
If the post said missing cables, then you are stuck.
The post did say missing cables and listed exactly which ones (motherboard, 2x cpu, 2x pcie, 2x sata), thats why its so cheap (like 100 pounds off new), but the unit is like new and never used, but i managed to make it work and im using it right now, i used the motherboard, cpu, pcie cables from the new unit (prime ultra gold 1300w) and used the sata and molex from the M12ii Evo psu (old unit) and all is working fine, I asked seasonic support if these two psu version cables are interchangeable and they said yes, both psu units use the same pin out, i also asked if the inline capacitated cables made by seasonic are compatible and they said yes it is compatible with both the PRIME and the M12ii Evo models but the PRIME doesnt really need the inline capacitated cables, as there is already inline capacitors present in the PRIME PSU. So yes no problems so far and I hope it stays that way, only thing i noticed is that my CPU is running at higher temps on idle than usual (3900x on asus strix e gaming) but that maybe due to me reseating the cpu cooler (cryorig h5 ultimate) in a not so proper way, when i was inserting the new psu cables, i thought it could be because the new cables and more wattage from the new psu unit used might be causing abit more heat than the old psu (from old unit = 850 watts to new unit 1300 watts), but i doubt that is the reason, And also its very hot today that might be the reason, cpu before was idling at 40 plus and now unfortunately 50 plus, so that just needs checking. Just to get that out too.

Solution
Kudos to Seasonic support for helping you.
Ryzen idle temperatures always seem high, apparently the processors are always somewhat active and never truly idle.
Your room temperature is the starting point.
Inside a case, the ambient temperature will always be higher.
Then add in 10-15c. which is about the minimum that any cooler can do and 40c. is not unusual.
When remounting, tighten down the cooler a bit at a time in a criss-cross manner or it may not go down level.

ali1278

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2014
Kudos to Seasonic support for helping you.
Ryzen idle temperatures always seem high, apparently the processors are always somewhat active and never truly idle.
Your room temperature is the starting point.
Inside a case, the ambient temperature will always be higher.
Then add in 10-15c. which is about the minimum that any cooler can do and 40c. is not unusual.
When remounting, tighten down the cooler a bit at a time in a criss-cross manner or it may not go down level.

Seasonic has been great yes, they provide really good support when you ask them anything they will answer it within a few hours,
well today has been very very hot like in the 30s and my room is very hot too (even with room fan on), so that maybe one of the reason.
I noticed when cpu is put under load it does not go past 60 to 65 degrees, but on idle it sits like 52 or 53 degrees, before it sat on idle like 43 to 48 degrees and under load at about 52 to 55 degrees. So yes I think i need to resit my fan cooler again with more or change thermal paste again, or another thing is get a liquid cooler like 240mm arctic freezer or something else if the temps seem high, but tbh this cryorig h5 ultimate fan cooler has been working really well so far for many years, i added another fan recently so it has like 2 fans on the heatsink.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS