Build Advice Seasonic PRIME 1300W Gold vs be quiet! Straight Power 11 1200W platinum

klonjack

Reputable
Jan 13, 2019
Okay I can't really decide at what psu I wanna get for a few reasons
  1. I want higher rated psu
  2. I want a brand that hasn't failed me(be quiet) or is reliable(seasonic)
  3. I want it cheap :D
anyway these psus are actually the same prices in my country but I can't decide which one to get for the above reasons.

I did in fact do my research and checked the psu guide article along with the recommendation to check out mr.Aris Mpitziopoulos reviews and found nothing on them(I could've missed please link me the reviews if such exist).

And henceforth I have decided to ask for advice from you guys.

Here are my current specs
MOBO: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PLUS
NVME: 1 kingstong 500GB and another kingston 1TB
Case: Fractal Design R5
CPU: i9-9900K(stock OC)- cooled by Noctua NH-D15
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3060(to be swapped with a 4080)
HDD: hitachi 500GB and I'll get another one soon
RAM: 4x G.skill aegist 16GB 3200MHz
PSU: Be quiet straight power 11 750W platinum(my current PSU)
I have also a blu ray drive and 4 fans cooling the machine.

I can provide more info if needed

EDIT: I forgot the ram

Last edited:
I literally did not know that until now.
Still not sold on seasonic though.
Would like to see more advice/experience with both.
Thanks for the info though
I have a SeaSonic PRIME Gold 1200W I bought back in 2018 when crypto mining was booming. I typically had 5-7 RX 570 and RX 580 connected to it and, at times when things got hot and fans were spinning faster, it would pull well over 1200W from the wall and not miss a beat. I'm still using that psu in a file server. Just my experience with it. It was and still is considered a top tier choice for premium power supplies. There are a few SeaSonic PSUs to stay away from on the budget end, but the PRIME series is not one of them.

*Update: I even contacted SeaSonic and told them what I was doing with it and asked them where I could get some more PCIe power cables. So, they sent me some more at no cost to me.

klonjack

Reputable
Jan 13, 2019
I have a SeaSonic PRIME Gold 1200W I bought back in 2018 when crypto mining was booming. I typically had 5-7 RX 570 and RX 580 connected to it and, at times when things got hot and fans were spinning faster, it would pull well over 1200W from the wall and not miss a beat. I'm still using that psu in a file server. Just my experience with it. It was and still is considered a top tier choice for premium power supplies. There are a few SeaSonic PSUs to stay away from on the budget end, but the PRIME series is not one of them.

*Update: I even contacted SeaSonic and told them what I was doing with it and asked them where I could get some more PCIe power cables. So, they sent me some more at no cost to me.

hmmmmm that's interesting
And while I was waiting for an answer I did some searching regarding my 4080.
And found some quite juicy stuff like the cable thing and it's power draw.
I see some people using 750w psu on it and it seems to be working good(I wouldn't do it but it does raise eyebrows).
Regarding the cable there seems to be a new supposed ATX 3.0 standard psus that are for beefy GPUs like the 3090 Ti,4080 and 4090 which will have it's own 12VHPWR(or whatever it's called) and my question is won't a ATX 3.0 PSU be a better option(due to the cable thing and it's power draw)?
And where to find such a PSU and are they more expensive than the ones i've currently stopped at?