Question Seasonic Prime PX1000 hybrid fan control ?

alehei

Honorable
Feb 15, 2017
Hi all, recently as the title suggests, I have bought a Seasonic Prime PX 1000. I have never owned a seasonic psu but I have heard good things and I am very happy with the unit.

I have a question about hybrid control. I know what it does, that it turns the fan on when a certain power threshold is reached but it states that only after 40% load it starts to spin. We are talking 400w of power to start actively cooling.

My system right now only pulls around 320-340w at max load (bought a 1000w because of the eventual pc upgrade in the near future) so the fan never spins

My old psu had a lower threshold for the fan (30%) and since it was an 850w, the fan used to work when I start gaming.

Naturally, this Prime's outside case is running hotter than my old psu since fans never come on unlike my old one which triggered the threshold

Can anyone explain to me if seasonic hybrid fan control senses also psu temp to ramp up the fan from 0 or is it only controlled by the power threshold? So for example if I am using less than 400w but psu gets hot, will the fan still come on?

Also, if I just run normal mode to be safe, does anyone have experience with these Hong Hua fans seasonic are using? How do they fare if they are used in normal mode which is always spinning over time? What I am worried about is that they state that this is an FDB fan, but its expected lifespan is 50000 hours while I always read that FDB fans are one of the most reliable bearings and usually their MTBF is about 150000 hours.

Apologies for long post and thank you.

Last edited:
Hi all, recently as the title suggests, I have bought a Seasonic Prime PX 1000. I have never owned a seasonic psu but I have heard good things and I am very happy with the unit.

I have a question about hybrid control. I know what it does, that it turns the fan on when a certain power threshold is reached but it states that only after 40% load it starts to spin. We are talking 400w of power to start actively cooling.

My system right now only pulls around 320-340w at max load (bought a 1000w because of the eventual pc upgrade in the near future) so the fan never spins

My old psu had a lower threshold for the fan (30%) and since it was an 850w, the fan used to work when I start gaming.

Naturally, this Prime's outside case is running hotter than my old psu since fans never come on unlike my old one which triggered the threshold

Can anyone explain to me if seasonic hybrid fan control senses also psu temp to ramp up the fan from 0 or is it only controlled by the power threshold? So for example if I am using less than 400w but psu gets hot, will the fan still come on?

Also, if I just run normal mode to be safe, does anyone have experience with these Hong Hua fans seasonic are using? How do they fare if they are used in normal mode which is always spinning over time? What I am worried about is that they state that this is an FDB fan, but its expected lifespan is 50000 hours while I always read that FDB fans are one of the most reliable bearings and usually their MTBF is about 150000 hours.

Apologies for long post and thank you.
If I remember correctly the fan will kick on below the percentage threshold if it gets too warm. Sadly jonnyguru.com is no longer online. Oklahoma Wolf used to do hot box testing as well and fans would kick on sooner in these hybrid designs in these tests.

For the fans Hong Hua are very good. 50,000 hours is almost 6 years in continuous on time. Unless you are keeping your computer running 24/7 at a load in which the fan spins the entire time the odds of running out of the fan life is slim. Remember that companies are going to give conservative estimates on lifespan of components. I've been using the same PSU in my desktop for 9 years now. Over the last 2 years it is being used 8-10 hours a day on average and the fan still works fine.

alehei

Honorable
Feb 15, 2017
If I remember correctly the fan will kick on below the percentage threshold if it gets too warm. Sadly jonnyguru.com is no longer online. Oklahoma Wolf used to do hot box testing as well and fans would kick on sooner in these hybrid designs in these tests.

For the fans Hong Hua are very good. 50,000 hours is almost 6 years in continuous on time. Unless you are keeping your computer running 24/7 at a load in which the fan spins the entire time the odds of running out of the fan life is slim. Remember that companies are going to give conservative estimates on lifespan of components. I've been using the same PSU in my desktop for 9 years now. Over the last 2 years it is being used 8-10 hours a day on average and the fan still works fine.

Thank you very much for your detailed reply mate.
May I ask what psu model is it and if you use normal or hybrid mode? Im not worried that the fan will start making a small grinding noise cause generally the other fans noises will mute that, im more worried about a complete failure that it does not turn on cause psu fans are a bit of a pain to change since they use 135mm.
Being a seasonic probably will survive even if I bake it in an oven but I sort of feel guilty knowing that I can run something cooler and not doing it for the sake of some noise.
Thats why I am having this dilemma, if I should just use hybrid since its a platinum unit and it should be pretty effecient or use normal for cooler temps.

To give some insight, seasonic recommends mounting fan on top in hybrid so heat can rise but for me it isnt an option, Im sort of scared of that since I use watercooling and in case of a leak, everything will end up inside the psu.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your detailed reply mate.
May I ask what psu model is it and if you use normal or hybrid mode? Im not worried that the fan will start making a small grinding noise cause generally the other fans noises will mute that, im more worried about a complete failure that it does not turn on cause psu fans are a bit of a pain to change since they use 135mm.
Being a seasonic probably will survive even if I bake it in an oven but I sort of feel guilty knowing that I can run something cooler and not doing it for the sake of some noise.
I have a Rosewill Hive 750W from 2013. It doesn't have a hybrid mode on it so the fan is always spinning. However, it does ramp the fan RPM based on how usage.

alehei

Honorable
Feb 15, 2017
I have a Rosewill Hive 750W from 2013. It doesn't have a hybrid mode on it so the fan is always spinning. However, it does ramp the fan RPM based on how usage.
Thanks for the info mate, probably I just keep using normal mode since it spins at low rpm so wear and tear shouldn't be that much. Starting to think, some of my PC fans are starting to hit the 5 year mark with no signs of wierd noises.