Discussion Seasonic PRIME TX-850 with Rtx 3090. OCP shutdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Hi dear users. I have had an problem today.

My pc:
Seasonic PRIME TX-850 80Plus Titanium 850W
10850K stock 4800mhz stock Kraken X73 good temps
2x16 GB DDR4 GSKILL 3000mhz XMP
Seasonic Tx-850 Ultra Titanium
Gigabyte Rtx 3090 Gaming ( 2x8 pin , 2 separate cables )
Aorus Z490 Pro Gaming
1 TB SSD

I bought pc in march 2021. No single issue,no reboots,no shutdowns. I played all games for many hours,no issues. 4 days ago…i launched Metro Exodus and after cinematic when is press E button part pc just shutdown. I rebooted again and its fine again.

Happened after launching game on intro advertisements part.

My question is. It was psu issue or maybe other hardware?

I remember that when pc goes off ,pc case lights flickered once and monitor flickered. That not happens when i shutting down manually.

i am running now game and no shutdowns. Happened today once. Also i have pc until march 2021 and thats like today never happened.

Is psu going just bad,rma or what you recommend for me. Thank you

ps:
So I am a bit confused. Everyone is saying that it is likely the psu with a problem...but they are also saying if it was the PSU’s over current protection, then I would HAVE to switch the flip in the back. I don’t have to flip switch. Are you all sure ocp will FORCE you to flip switch, and that’s not just some brands ways of handling it?

Last edited:
“[8] Seasonic PRIME based units experience shutdowns with RTX3080/3090 (and possibly RX6900 XT) GPUs, especially ones with unlocked power limit like FE and ASUS Strix. It is recommended, if going with such units, to overprovision wattage, 1kW for RTX3080 and 1.2kW for RTX3090, or power-limit the GPU, or performing a 'dirty' fix of disconnecting a pin of 12V V-sense wire from PSU-side connector of 24-pin motherboard cable (courtesy of Jonny Guru). Units based on post-2018 revisions of Seasonic Focus platform and majority of units by other OEMs are not affected.”

From https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...er-list-rev-14-8-final-update-jul-21.3624094/

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
So I am a bit confused. Everyone is saying that it is likely the psu with a problem...but they are also saying if it was the PSU’s over current protection, then I would HAVE to switch the flip in the back. I don’t have to flip switch.

NameChanged38

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Considering you're not daisy chaining the GPU - it's running off two separate cables as it should, also the fact the Seasonic has a single power rail, there is nothing more that can be done to ease the load on it. It's simply not up to the task. I find it surprising my well aged EVGA 750W Gold with 4 power rails can handle a 3090, but not a much newer Seasonic 850W Titanium.

NameChanged38

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Or maybe it was momentary power outage?
Aside from replacing the PSU, the only other option I could offer is to check ALL the power related connections. Make sure they're in all the way and locked if they're of the locking variety. The evidence is pointing elsewhere though with other existing threads stating similar issues.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
So I am a bit confused. Everyone is saying that it is likely the psu with a problem...but they are also saying if it was the PSU’s over current protection, then I would HAVE to switch the flip in the back. I don’t have to flip switch.
Apparently, Prime don't latch-off when tripping with Ampere, because it's not exactly OCP. It's just supervisor freaking out due to the 12V v-sense noise and probably lifting the control signal for a fraction of the second which shuts down the whole PSU. But i'm talking out of my ass here, i have no idea what's actually happening. Although, yes, in numerous reports of Prime tripping with RTX3080/3090 the PSU didn't latch off, just shutdown.

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
It's NOT an OCP issue in Prime TX. The PSU measures to much noise on the sense wire given back from the GPU and shut off.

Ok but someone here with the same PSU had the shutdown. And he said:"have to reset the PSU at the switch to get my system back. "

But i dont have to reset my PSU ,pc started normally when i pressed power button without resetting psu at the switch.

You're confused because you're talking to people that don't understand the problem.

Its not OCP. It's a design issue. It doesn't latch the PSU. It only let's go of the power good signal. That's why you don't have to power cycle.

You need a different PSU for your 3090.

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
You're confused because you're talking to people that don't understand the problem.

Its not OCP. It's a design issue. It doesn't latch the PSU. It only let's go of the power good signal. That's why you don't have to power cycle.

You need a different PSU for your 3090.
Really appreciate it for help jonny guru.

I dont have to reset my PSU ,pc started normally when i pressed power button without resetting psu at the switch <power cycle>. I don’t have to flip switch.

So it was 12V+ noise issue ,like you described on other topic?

It happened once. I tried to reproduce that launching game 100 times and no shutdown.
It happened once during 7 months of use.

Still change psu or stay with it? Thank you jonny guru.

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020

I dont have to reset my PSU ,pc started normally when i pressed power button without resetting psu at the switch <power cycle>. I don’t have to flip switch.

So it was 12V+ noise issue ,like you described on other topic?

It happened once. I tried to reproduce that launching game 100 times and no shutdown.
It happened once during 7 months of use.

Still change psu or stay with it? Thank you jonny guru.
I would ask Seasonic first whether they are willing to help out

I. Know.

Is any sense if that happened once in 7 months of use?

Run Prime95 and Furmark at the same time.

Prime95 (small FFT's on all cores) + Furmark @ 1080p w/2x MSAA. With Furmark in the foreground, press the space bar every two or three seconds to make the donut disappear an reappear. If you can do that for a few minutes, the PSU is probably fine and the shut down was just a fluke.

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
I. Know.

Run Prime95 and Furmark at the same time.

Prime95 (small FFT's on all cores) + Furmark @ 1080p w/2x MSAA. With Furmark in the foreground, press the space bar every two or three seconds to make the donut disappear an reappear. If you can do that for a few minutes, the PSU is probably fine and the shut down was just a fluke.
Really appreciate it for help jonny guru. I had that shutdown 3 days ago when launching Metro Exodus Enhanced in intro advertisement part. But i tried to reproduce and i cant. I launched game 100 times and not shutdown.

So if psu working fine again with all games for 20 hours and not shutdowns.Also when it will not shutdown with prime95+furmark ,nothing to worry about?

Really appreciate it for help jonny guru. I had that shutdown 3 days ago when launching Metro Exodus Enhanced in intro advertisement part. But i tried to reproduce and i cant. I launched game 100 times and not shutdown.

So if psu working fine again with all games for 20 hours and not shutdowns.Also when it will not shutdown with prime95+furmark ,nothing to worry about?

Nothing to worry about.

Reactions: litwicki23

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Is any sense if that happened once in 7 months of use?
I mean, this isn't really dangerous for your hardware or smth. It's just an unexpected shutdown, if it happens very rarely and doesn't bother you - no need to replace it. But doing the Furmark + Prime95 test would at least show whether it was a fluke or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.