Discussion Seasonic PRIME TX-850 with Rtx 3090. OCP shutdown?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Ok last question. Someone said this to me:

"I had the same exact problem with my three 8-pin connector 3080 Ti. It's not OCP as I too didn't need to flip the switch, but it's more than likely transient loads and too sensitive of protection, the 12v sense wire, and filtering.

I literally have a replacement SSR-850TR coming today. They didn't even question my RMA. It's a known issue for their pre-2021 PSUs. No one knows when they officially implemented the fix, but my replacement has 2102 (Feb 2021) as the first part of the serial, so it's around that range. I was gonna buy a 1000w Super Flower T2 on sale for $239 from Newegg, but I figured I'd give them a chance because it's cheaper this way, and you might as well take advantage of the stellar warranty.
"

And then he said that i should replace psu:

"I'd replace it if I were you. That way you know you did all you could before you have to replace your PSU entirely and re-cable stuff. You can do an advanced replacement where they send you the PSU, and you send yours back after getting theirs. This reduces down time, and at the very least you will be able to rule out a problem. I suspect you are experiencing what we all are though, and I've seen many stories where the problems start increasing in frequency. I can report back today if it fixed my problem if the snow doesn't delay the delivery."

So rma or not?

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Someone on reddit said:

"No, if a psu is faulty, then it happens. Period. The relative frequency in which it happens is irrelevant. Your system is at stock (no CPU, GPU, or RAM OC), and it tripped OCP: ergo the power supply is faulty. If your hard drive has a bad sector its it still good for use? The correct answer is no. How often you use data is irrelevant, you are still losing data. The faulty component does not function as it should, therefore the faulty component is faulty. That's how you know its faulty.
If your system is crashing, your components are being pushed too far. Can you explain why you have no intention to replace your bad hardware? I don't understand why you bothered to post this in the first place: clearly you already decided you were okay with an unreliable system and saw no need to replace your psu with a properly functioning unit, even though this would be replaced at little cost to you. Why are you trying to argue with me that instability is good?"

So what i have bad psu like he said?

oki, so finally if i had that one shutdown and never more just keep using pc and its fine ?:) I mean i hope its fine hehe :)

So.. funny thing is.. I'm not saying doing an RMA is a bad idea. But it's also a crap shoot. You had one shut down in 7 months. You get a replacement of the same PSU. You go seven more months. Then it shuts down again. Are we right back where we started?

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
So.. funny thing is.. I'm not saying doing an RMA is a bad idea. But it's also a crap shoot. You had one shut down in 7 months. You get a replacement of the same PSU. You go seven more months. Then it shuts down again. Are we right back where we started?
So pc is fine? Is any chance that shutdown was related bug/game/driver?

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
That happened in a moment. I started game, intro part loaded,advertisement part. And monitor went off <black screen>. Then pc case leds briefly flickered once and all pc sudden shutdown.
After that i checked ceiling lamps. I switch them and they was on. Router doesnt turn off , because i had internet ( wifi ) on laptop. Also laptop doesnt change to battery mode.

And after moment maybe 10 seconds,i saw that monitor flickered once. Is any chance that was short power interruption then or more hardware related? I ask because it happened once i tried to reproduce 400 times running game and no shutdown again.

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Someone said this to me:"My response, is that once it has happened, it will happen again and the frequency will increase as well. So yes, RMA it if you have a spare PSU to use temporarily."

Listen to him?

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
So if this happened once in 8 months of use still rma?

Someone said this to me:"My response, is that once it has happened, it will happen again and the frequency will increase as well. So yes, RMA it if you have a spare PSU to use temporarily."

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS