[SOLVED] Seasonic PX 850 Platinum questions

Selynelar

Honorable
Feb 19, 2019
Hi all,

I have got some questions about my new PSU which is a Seasonic PX 850w Platinum:

1. Should I use Fanless Mode or Normal is better? I mean is it better to keep the fan spinning in Normal mode all the time for long term?
2. I realized few days ago the guy who built my computer that he built into the case the PSU with the Vent side Down. My Case is a Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Se.It has vent hole on the bottom with dustproof filter. Is it okay like that for long term or should I turn it face upward?http://kepkezelo.com/images/qy2c9uzmkww55kryh7fg.jpg
As you can see on the picture i keep my pc on the desk in a seperate part. So there is space under the case.
3.When I turn the Psu into Normal mode feels like the fan is not spinning which one i beleive should be. Is it normal? I did not test it more deeply. It might be spinning just very low?
4.When i turn off the pc i hear a click sound.I beleive this is the relay switch.Is it normal?Some times like i hear a buzzing sound,when I listen it from close.Could be the coil whine? Is it normal?

Sorry for the lots of question.
Thanks for your replies.

Solution
Yes, that's the recommendations from Seasonic.

The fan will wear out a bit sooner, with it always spinning - but most fans have a fairly long service life. It is also spinning at fairly low RPM . It won't wear out anytime soon

Personally I'm running my current Seasonic PSU in Normal mode. I did run it in hybid until recently, but I flipped it over and activated Normal Mode to reduce heat when I swapped my AiO for an air cooler.

Before I had the current PSU, I had a Corsair AX860 which is also built by Seasonic,. I always ran that in normal mode, and I never noticed anything through the years I had that

They provide a factory warranty as well, which to a certain degree indicates the life expectancy of the components used

In terms of...
Seasonic recommends installing their PSUs with the fan in the top, when you use fanless mode, as well as when you don't have an intake opening in the bottom of your case

So if you intend to use hybrid / passive mode, the fan should be on the top so hot air can escape more easily when the PSU fan isn't spinning

Selynelar

Honorable
Feb 19, 2019
I have an intake opening on the bottom.Thats why my question that is it better in the actual downside position to use fanless/hybrid mode or it is better to Use in that case the normal mode?

I might have explained myself poorly.

If the fan is in normal mode, and you have a bottom intake, you can install the PSU with the fan facing downwards

This is the only recommended situation where the fan can face the bottom

Hybrid or fanless mode, fan should always be facing the top - regardless if you have a bottom intake

Fan always spinning, but no bottom intake, the fans need to be facing the top

Those are the instructions from Seasonic

Reactions: Selynelar

Selynelar

Honorable
Feb 19, 2019
I got it.So as I understand I can use only normal mode when the fan is down. If I want to use the Hybrid/Fanless mode I need to turn the PSU fan side up. Is it okay to use btw the psu in normal mode for long term?So far I know it has also silent option even when the fan is always running. I believe this is called s2fc. Which one is also keep the fan spin regard the idle.

The fan will wear out a bit sooner, with it always spinning - but most fans have a fairly long service life. It is also spinning at fairly low RPM . It won't wear out anytime soon

Personally I'm running my current Seasonic PSU in Normal mode. I did run it in hybid until recently, but I flipped it over and activated Normal Mode to reduce heat when I swapped my AiO for an air cooler.

Before I had the current PSU, I had a Corsair AX860 which is also built by Seasonic,. I always ran that in normal mode, and I never noticed anything through the years I had that

They provide a factory warranty as well, which to a certain degree indicates the life expectancy of the components used

In terms of noise, there's no difference with the model I have, but they use seeveral differnt fans, and I don't know which one is used in your model

Solution

Selynelar

Honorable
Feb 19, 2019
Thank You guys. Now everything is Clear. Even now I remember back my previous Bequiet straight power 10 was also vent face down but there the fan was spinning all the time due to it has not hybrid/fanless mode.So i will run the seasonic also in normal.I am not in the mood to turn my psu just to use it in hybrid mode:ROFLMAO:

Selynelar

Honorable
Feb 19, 2019

In terms of noise, there's no difference with the model I have, but they use seeveral differnt fans, and I don't know which one is used in your model
Yes thats why i had my concern.I have also air cooling.
This is my model btw:
Seasonic Px850

Last edited: