[SOLVED] Seasonic S12II-520 watt Bronze vs Corsair TX650M Semi-Modular ATX PSU

Sep 29, 2019
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seasonic...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CORSAIR-...252040&hash=item1cd4109f88:g:AGQAAOSwJO9dFNY9

I am in the market for a new PSU after my crappy XFX Pro 650 watt core edition has become faulty when gaming.

Back in 2013, I bought the XFX based on good reviews such as this one. So I felt like I had made an educated decision, but now apparently XFX is a hunk of junk.

This is one of the reviews I made my decision on.

Anyway, I have narrowed my search down to the above two units linked at the start of the thread.

The Seasonic has the advantage of being the most reputable brand, and is £20 cheaper.

However the Corsair has the advantage of being able to supply 120 more watts and is also semi modular, a big plus for cable management.

The Corsair can also be returned physically to my local branch of the retailer whereas the Seasonic is bought from far away. The Corsair is 80+ gold whereas the seasonic is 80+ bronze.

However, the Corsair is £20 more expensive.

At the moment, despite it's advanced cost, I am leaning towards the Corsair, despite the Seasonic being the more reputable brand.

Solution
I don't mind

I don't give too much of a crap that the unit has failed, it's just that the company has no presence in the EU anymore to honor the 10 year warranty.

Also if it is true that it is a Seasonic unit, I am less than impressed if it has started to fail when Seasonic are normally warrantied for 10 years.

But it works out well for them because it means they can weasel out of replacing the unit.

Most Seasonic units have 10 years but not all. The S12II you selected is one of their lowest end, and is only 3 years warranty. Its a good quality unit, however its a dated platform. The Corsair TX650M is a better quality unit than that specific Seasonic and as you mentioned has benefits like being able to get service/return...
Sep 29, 2019
I don't mind
FYI that XFX Pro you had was made by Seasonic.

Failures happen even to the best of them

I don't give too much of a crap that the unit has failed, it's just that the company has no presence in the EU anymore to honor the 10 year warranty.

Also if it is true that it is a Seasonic unit, I am less than impressed if it has started to fail when Seasonic are normally warrantied for 10 years.

But it works out well for them because it means they can weasel out of replacing the unit.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I don't mind

Most Seasonic units have 10 years but not all. The S12II you selected is one of their lowest end, and is only 3 years warranty. Its a good quality unit, however its a dated platform. The Corsair TX650M is a better quality unit than that specific Seasonic and as you mentioned has benefits like being able to get service/return locally should there be an issue. No question I would get the Corsair.

Solution

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Well they are a tier 3 manufacturer. So I wouldn't necessarily call them the "best" manufacturer.

The title of "best" would probably go to factories like Delta, Liteon, Chicony, Flextronics etc

Being a tier 3 manufacturer has precisely 0 to do with the quality of the PSU that they put out. Seasonic as a brand has consistently proven to be the best you can buy, despite small manufacturing facilities and in some cases outsourcing. Lite-On and Chicony have never produced a PSU that could even be considered in the same category as most Seasonic, despite possibly having the capability to do so.

That said this is getting offtopic and was only in response to an offhanded colloquialism anyway.

The SeaSonic S12ii is dated, group regulated, and use double forward converter. They were once very good and are well built, but they are just so old.

The Corsair TX650m is a FAR, FAR superior PSU. It is much more modern, more efficient, higher wattage, more modular, LLC resonant, the list goes on.

You are selling the old man short, NightHawk. The TX is definitely better, especially at those prices, but the S12II puts up a good fight. It's built like a tank, has legendary reliability and heat tolerance, and even wins the ripple suppression category outright against the TX, before the TX pulls away on the back of its outstanding voltage regulation, efficiency, and better performance with loads above 500 watts. The legend can still punch above its weight class for a lot longer than people give it credit for. I never though I would say that people underrate the S12II, but I think they do right now. I still believe its the best budget unit out there for systems under 500 watts, but it can't match the mid-grade units anymore.

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I still believe its the best budget unit out there for systems under 500 watts, but it can't match the mid-grade units anymore.

You said it right there. its a great budget unit. I recommend it all the time. But for a minimal amount more he can get a Gold efficiency, fully modular, better quality, newer platform unit, that also puts out more power. Its a no brainer.

Sep 13, 2019
My 6-7 year old Seasonic M12II 520 Bronze PSU is still kicking but showing its age so it's retired. I upgraded to R5 2600 CPU and RX570 video card which was more taxing on an old PSU so I upped to Seasonic Focus 750 Gold PSU for future proofing.