Seasonic's New Power Supply Lineup for Sept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaobSiroc

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
"Seasonic says that high-quality components have made the bronze level one that is effectively dead."

Perhaps you meant to write "dead silent"? Dead PSU's are not good.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I think it means they are killing off the 80 plus bronze line of PSUs. They have such easy access to good components now that everything they make will exceed Bronze certification.

I have a Seasonic X-750 with two Radeon 6850s in crossfire. Best PSU I have ever worked with hands down. Love the silent fan operation and 100% modular cabling.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
As long as they keep on making or upgrade their TFX line I'm good, otherwise I'll have to go to other companies for any upgrades; though I've yet to see one rated as 80 Plus Bronze.

4745454b

Titan
I slightly disagree with this statement. As I tried pointing out in a thread, I don't view Gold/platinum PSUs worth it yet. You're talking about a 10% increase in efficiency for an extra $100. It will take years for that to pay off. Bronze/silver PSUs seem to be the best bang for buck right now. This of course will change over time and eventually gold will become the norm. But I think it's a bit silly to declare Bronze dead.

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]dread_cthulhu[/nom]Yes... I was somewhat confused by that statement as well...[/citation]
How?

Let's break it down shall we?

"As for 80 Plus Bronze – Seasonic says that high-quality components have made the bronze level one that is effectively dead."

Okay, so first off, we see "high-quality components" .....hmm, high quality components. They're specifying the quality level of these parts, going out of their way to say something special. Probably indicating that they're better than your average parts. Why would they go out of their way to specify that, if not to say "We use such amazing parts, that those once HIGH standards, are now to us, peasant level and a joke".

And finally, since they're using "high-quality components", the Bronze level is no longer even going to be produced. You can tell, because they also mention above that they're introducing those fancy 80 + PLATINUM certified models.

So again, where did you possibly get confused in that statement? I hate to be critical, but seriously, there was no where to get lost. They have the Platinum levels, and because of high quality parts, are ditching the Bronze level as even being a standard they participate in.

"We have high quality parts, so we're shipping you Bronze level PSU's that are effectively dead on arrival". Amazing how you somehow got THAT translation.

dstln

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
[citation][nom]4745454b[/nom]I slightly disagree with this statement. As I tried pointing out in a thread, I don't view Gold/platinum PSUs worth it yet. You're talking about a 10% increase in efficiency for an extra $100. It will take years for that to pay off. Bronze/silver PSUs seem to be the best bang for buck right now. This of course will change over time and eventually gold will become the norm. But I think it's a bit silly to declare Bronze dead.[/citation]

You don't use your power supplies for years?

ChaobSiroc

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
The wording was confusing. Especially when reading early in the morning :p

If they would have used a well constructed sentence to clearly bring their point across it would read as follows:

"Seasonic says that they have decided to use higher quality parts on all of their PSU's now so their 80 Plus Bronze line will be discontinued."

Obviously lower quality parts are cheaper so they are just choosing to only offer more expensive PSU's with better efficiency certifications.

I have a 400watt gold certified fanless Seasonic PSU on a 0db PC I built for listening to music with my Sennheiser cans. Seasonic is pretty much the best PSU maker as far as I'm concerned.

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]ChaobSiroc[/nom]The wording was confusing. Especially when reading early in the morning If they would have used a well constructed sentence to clearly bring their point across it would read as follows:"Seasonic says that they have decided to use higher quality parts on all of their PSU's now so their 80 Plus Bronze line will be discontinued." Obviously lower quality parts are cheaper so they are just choosing to only offer more expensive PSU's with better efficiency certifications.I have a 400watt gold certified fanless Seasonic PSU on a 0db PC I built for listening to music with my Sennheiser cans. Seasonic is pretty much the best PSU maker as far as I'm concerned.[/citation]

That's the problem, It IS well constructed. I didn't look at it for more than a second and after that, I never went back to re-read it until I read the comments stating some confusion. I actually thought they went back and fixed some type of error or typo, but they haven't.

In my mind, I literally can't understand how you two and possibly more, interpreted it that way.

What are your demographics?

twile

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Grrr, I just got a 1kW power supply, too... wanted a Seasonic, but they didn't make any that high.

I don't get how people could not understand the statement. It's so easy and cheap to make a more efficient power supply that they aren't bothering to even target something as low as Bronze.

valpanig

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
[citation][nom]WhySoBluePandaBear[/nom]How? Let's break it down shall we? "As for 80 Plus Bronze – Seasonic says that high-quality components have made the bronze level one that is effectively dead."Okay, so first off, we see "high-quality components" .....hmm, high quality components. They're specifying the quality level of these parts, going out of their way to say something special. Probably indicating that they're better than your average parts. Why would they go out of their way to specify that, if not to say "We use such amazing parts, that those once HIGH standards, are now to us, peasant level and a joke". And finally, since they're using "high-quality components", the Bronze level is no longer even going to be produced. You can tell, because they also mention above that they're introducing those fancy 80 + PLATINUM certified models. So again, where did you possibly get confused in that statement? I hate to be critical, but seriously, there was no where to get lost. They have the Platinum levels, and because of high quality parts, are ditching the Bronze level as even being a standard they participate in. "We have high quality parts, so we're shipping you Bronze level PSU's that are effectively dead on arrival". Amazing how you somehow got THAT translation.[/citation]
I was confused too PandaBear. Last sentense i comprehended as when Seasonic put high quality components in the Bronze rated PSUs, that made them dead. Never put high quality part in the bronze rated equipment.

ChaobSiroc

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
[citation][nom]WhySoBluePandaBear[/nom]That's the problem, It IS well constructed.[/citation]

It most certainly is not well constructed. If it were people (more than just myself) wouldn't have had difficulty figuring out what it meant. A well constructed sentence is easy for everyone with knowledge of the English language to understand.

"As for 80 Plus Bronze – Seasonic says that high-quality components have made the bronze level one that is effectively dead."

It means Seasonic decided not to offer the cheaper Bronze Plus PSU's any more. If it would just say what it meant rather than talking about how the "bronze level is effectively dead" which isn't true at all, then I would have understood it easily.

It's like saying "higher performance CPU's have made anything less than a quad core obsolete" Which just isn't true, These Silver, Gold, and Platinum PSU's that they are offering cost considerably more than what other companies charge for a bronze plus CPU. So for those building a PC on a budget the Bronze level is far from "obsolete", rather it is perfect for them.

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]ChaobSiroc[/nom]It most certainly is not well constructed. If it were people (more than just myself) wouldn't have had difficulty figuring out what it meant. A well constructed sentence is easy for everyone with knowledge of the English language to understand. "As for 80 Plus Bronze – Seasonic says that high-quality components have made the bronze level one that is effectively dead."It means Seasonic decided not to offer the cheaper Bronze Plus PSU's any more. If it would just say what it meant rather than talking about how the "bronze level is effectively dead" which isn't true at all, then I would have understood it easily. It's like saying "higher performance CPU's have made anything less than a quad core obsolete" Which just isn't true, These Silver, Gold, and Platinum PSU's that they are offering cost considerably more than what other companies charge for a bronze plus CPU. So for those building a PC on a budget the Bronze level is far from "obsolete", rather it is perfect for them.[/citation]
Because of the high quality components being so cheap and cost effective, Bronze level is no longer a level they're trying to achieve. They're going for higher standards. So It's effectively dead in production for Seasonic.

I don't understand how you could take that any way. You must be over thinking it, and or adding your own personal details that it doesn't imply whatsoever.

Bronze level used to be a high standard. Now they have higher quality parts making Bronze a joke, that is now dead and Silver, Gold and Platinum being the new.

Again, I don't know how you're misinterpreting it.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
[citation][nom]nikorr[/nom]Seasonic rulez[/citation]
So I've heard. What are some other good powersupply designers?

I have a PC Power & Cooling PSU that has given me 7 years of stable & reliable service. What else should I consider?

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]bit_user[/nom]So I've heard. What are some other good powersupply designers?I have a PC Power & Cooling PSU that has given me 7 years of stable & reliable service. What else should I consider?[/citation]
Antec, Enermax....Corsair.....

ChaobSiroc

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
[citation][nom]WhySoBluePandaBear[/nom]Again, I don't know how you're misinterpreting it.[/citation]

It must be because I'm not perfect and occasionally make mistakes especially when reading a sentence that tries to make it's point in an illogical round-about way.

Status
Not open for further replies.