Seated i5 incorrectly

hambee

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013
Hello,

I needed to reseat my processor today due to an accident when putting thermal paste on during a new cooler install. It ended up getting turned around in my hand and I put it back in the slot the wrong way; the arrow was facing the opposite direction it should've been. My motherboard has always had resistance when putting in the processor, so I didn't notice anything odd until I heard a crunching noise; the sound of the pins being bent.

So, I unbent the pins and they all look like they're back in position, and I've seated the processor the correct way, but the system will not POST; is it likely is it that the processor has been irreperably damaged by my mistake?

Solution
Most likely the motherboard socket has been damaged, it is impossible to fix bent pins. I would say there's a good chance that the cpu is ok but not the MB.

hambee

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that while I did hear the crunch, I didn't think much of it and I did try to power the system on. Does this change your answer? Sorry for skipping that detail, this day has just been a huge mess.

^Agree I think you have destroyed both the CPU and Motherboard with out a question. Sorry I know that is not what you wanted to hear but that is the way it is. Had you not turned it on the CPU might have been OK but since you did best guess would be you shorted out the CPU in the process and once the pins have been bent on a intel motherboard they are impossible to get straight again so it will never work.