SECC2 Compatibility

ttofohio

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2005
I have an old HP Vectra VLi8 450 MHz Slot 1 cpu Model D9000E. I want to upgrade to 700 or 800 MHz (Maximum for this model) I would like to know if all Slot 1 SECC2 cpus are the same. Are all compatible? If not where do I find which are? HP NO HELP - "Too old of a machine for tech support"

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
WUSSY, HOW COULD YOU! You've ignored the VRM 8.2 vs VRM 8.4 issue which means that some boards CANNOT support the Coppermine's voltages!

ANY board with VRM 8.4 CAN support the Coppermine, even if the BIOS doesn't have all the codes. ANY board with VRM 8.2 CANNOT support the Coppermine, even if it HAS the BIOS update.

So it's NEVER a BIOS issue, it's always a voltage regulator issue! READ THE FAQ!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
We don't have the specific info on your board.

I'm sorry, but Wussy mislead you, we can't know what your board supports without looking up specific information on it.

Check the compatability list at <A HREF="http://www.upgradware.com" target="_new">http://www.upgradware.com</A> If your board is listed as Upgradeware compatable, it's also Coppermine compatable.

Not all SECC2 CPU's are the same, some use the Coppermine, some use the Mendicino core.

If your certain you have the SAME BOARD REVISION as HP used for their 700MHz or 800MHz models, you can rest assured those CPU's will work, as well as the 850, and the rare 1000E (1000MHz, 100MHz bus).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You CAN'T just give it more voltage. The VRM 8.2 voltage regulator will detect an "out of range" value and the board simply refuses to boot.

Back when voltage-adjustable slot adapters were abundant, the simple solution was to get a Socket 370 Coppermine and put it on the adapter, then set the detected voltage to 1.80v, which follows your idea. But you can't change jumpers on a Slot 1 processor as you could with the adapter, Slot 1's have no jumpers. Modifying the CPU pins is particularly troublesome, so you're basically left stranded unless you resort to an adapter with built-in regulator, such as the Powerleap (detected by the board at 2.05v, runs the CPU at something less). And I've fried Powerleap adapters, so my suggestion has always been to use a VRM 8.4 board to begin with. Upgradware adapts VRM 8.4 boards to Tualatins without needing it's own voltage regulator, so it's a nice solution so long as the board is VRM 8.4.

It's all in the motherboard's FAQ.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
His chances are better than 50% that following your advice would work. Over 2/3 of PII/PIII 100MHz bus boards I've worked with have been VRM 8.4.

If he's still reading the thread, then he's not posting. :/