secind disk drive I/O error

So i Just installed windows 7 on a friends computer plugged in a second hdd and went to format it to the computer it crashed mid format and now that i got it back on the bios and Windows it says to initialize drive i select okay and get i/o device error. i plugged it into my computer which it came from and got the same message again. i know for a fact this drive works and has no problems with it i have had it for a year and used 1/4 of it's memory the whole time what is going on??? my computer is a custom build with 6 drives in it, amd athlon(tm) II 3.10ghz(oc'd to 3.8ghz), gtx 660, 8gb of patriot ram, and rosewill wifi card. his is a dell optiplex gx620. i had to fight the computer to recognize the hdd drive both times but the second time i set it up i know for a fact it was setup properly i understand it crashing mid format is causing the problem but it still recognizes it's a hdd how much space it has but where type of drive it should be is says unknown "i/e Basic, Primary, Slave".

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
How old is hard drive ? The systems you're talking about are likely >10 years old. If the HDD is of a similar age, it may just be on the way out.

The fact the system crashed mid-format won't be helping the cause.

You should be able to initialize, format and partition it using Diskpart from bootable media (like a W7 install disk).
https://neosmart.net/wiki/diskpart/#If_you_can8217t_boot_into_Windows_7

I don't think this should have worked but i just replaced the reader with another hdd's reader and bam we have boot sequence xD. It's nice making a one of a kind P.C. who else full repaired there own hdd :).... Buying a replacement doesn't count as a repair it count's as being lazy.

Count your lucky stars. Now back up your info ASAP. It still could fail at any second.