second Adaptec controller in Netserver E60

Hello,

I just tried adding a second Adaptec host adaptor to my E60 (2940U2W). It
has a 3940UW 7895 based Adaptec onboard. The new controller is recognized
and the bios installed. Its devices appear in the list of connected scsi
devices and the controller is shown as scsi in the netserver's system
status page on startup.

When I plug the hard disk to the 2940U2W, no scsi device is available in
the menu of bootable devices (I think that may be the culprit since the
7895 shows its devices in the boot device screen of the netserver bios). I
can only select "bootable cards", however, the hard disk drive isn't even
accessed at boot time and therefore booting continues with floppy and cd
drive. I tried + and - in the boot devices screen to see whether the option
hides anywhere but no luck either.

I have already tried flashing both the controller as well as the mainboard
to no avail. I even downgraded to 2.11.0 since that's the bios from the
onboard controller. I have also switched cards to different slots but no
change.

I fail to see that I might be the only and first person attempting to add a
host adaptor to this netserver so I am asking: Does anyone know the issue
and a way to get past the troubles?

TIA

Does anyone REALLY read these stupid quotes?

On the seventh day, Christian Dürrhauer wrote...

> I fail to see that I might be the only and first person attempting to add a
> host adaptor to this netserver so I am asking: Does anyone know the issue
> and a way to get past the troubles?

well, got it to work eventually. The E60's PCI devices, their IRQ sharing
as well as their boot priority are well described on the technical support
card.

I have been using two Promise Ultra 100 TX cards for storage with some hard
disk drives. Unfortunately, each drive takes one of only six slots in the
BIOS boot device list, although the second Promise card is seated in a low
priority PCI slot. You have to make sure you use one high priority PCI slot
(aka high boot priority) so that the Adaptec gets into the boot device list
first.

That's all it took.

Does anyone REALLY read these stupid quotes?