Question Second Build After a Decade

vaironl

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Hello all, I had built my first PC about a decade ago with help from this forum and the PCPartPicker forum, you can see the completed build under my profile there. After a decade and some faulty parts upgrades I’m doing a second build. I told myself I wanted to build the whole system without help, as I like the research, hunting for the right parts with deals, etc. However after buying nearly all parts I think I should still ask for help in case I made poor choices. Due to work I haven’t been able to research a lot either.

If you think I will only get marginal improvements I may not upgrade the parts as I am thinking the hassle is not worth it. However, if you all think certain components would be much better pricewise or for longevity, I would appreciate the feedback. A bit more background on the use… I mostly do full stack software development, cloud computing, and want to get into machine learning though the latter is experimental and I don’t want to sink money into something I may never pursue. I occasionally game, really wish I did it more. Usually I’m playing old games I have on steam (Minecraft, the witcher 3, terraria, etc.), am not very interested in the latest AAA titles.

I am going to be reusing my existing 1TB Samsung 970 SATA SSD, and RX 580 8GB. I have been recommended an m.2 SSD but it seems the gains will not be really noticeable to me and I am trying to save a bit of money were possible and instead allocate resources where it makes the most sense (i.e. I decided to go with the new Ryzen CPU because it seems it is a new generation expected to be out for a while), though I have also noticed I never really upgraded my parts unless they went bad.

Thanks for the help!

Approximate Purchase Date: I have purchased all components on my PCPartPicker list. Microcenter had a deal for Ryzen 7/9 and DDR5 so that prompted me to go for the 7700x.

Budget Range: $800-$1000. I am willing to spend on the higher end for exponential improvements and save when there are marginal improvements.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Full-stack software development, cloud computing, gaming of mostly games that have been out for 4+ years.

Are you buying a monitor: No. A mechanical keyboard under $50 would be nice though, my red dragon is dying.

Parts to Upgrade: CPU, MOBO, RAM, PSU, CASE

Do you need to buy OS: No
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
Micro center, newegg (recently have heard Newegg being a bit less customer friendly), similarly trusted

Overclocking: Maybe, years down the line

Your Monitor Resolution: (1440p)

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Old PC is starting to need component upgrades more often, want new fun build after a decade

Include a list of any parts you have already selected with descriptively labeled links for parts. Please do not post only links.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2LWCnt

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 4.5 GHz 8-Core Processor ($348.98)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Loop 240 Liquid CPU Cooler ($103.58 @ Newegg Sellers)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX ATX AM5 Motherboard ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory ($0.01)
Storage: Samsung 870 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ Dell Technologies)
Video Card: Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 580 8 GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750x (2021) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $987.53
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-12-27 07:59 EST-0500

Load times won't be much different with an M.2 ssd over a SATA ssd. Where M.2 comes in handy is when transferring large files and you will still be limited by the least common denominator, so it really only comes in handy if both drives have NVMe M.2 and you will see several times more performance from NVMe M.2. So, no biggy there.

I switched to AMD after Intel showed me they couldn't quite get it figured out during 2017-2018. They shafted their customers with LGA 1151, compared to what AMD was offering with AM4. I bought 7th-gen Intel in 2017, and I turned around and bought AM4 in 2018. I recently upgraded to the Ryzen 7 5800X3D on the same motherboard from 2018, and I expect it to last me a good while longer. I'd expect AM5 to offer a similar longevity. Although, Intel seems to have somehow taken more of the market share back in the past few years.

I think your parts list looks good. I can't find much to complain about it. Maybe an X-series motherboard instead. It usually offers more features, such as more PCIe lanes for more NVMe drives later on.

vaironl

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Sorry all! It seems I never subscribed to the thread. My main concern lately has been the PSU and 240mm AIO cooler I got. I’ve read at the capacity I am ~500W according to PCPP I may be around that efficiency range of 50-60%. It seems also opinions are all over the place regarding PSUs in general. For the AIO I saw a post saying 240mm may not be enough to cool the 7700X but 280mm should be much better. I will admit I’m still very naive around these topics but if I understand correctly the 7700X will just keep performing up to 95C.

Load times won't be much different with an M.2 ssd over a SATA ssd. Where M.2 comes in handy is when transferring large files and you will still be limited by the least common denominator, so it really only comes in handy if both drives have NVMe M.2 and you will see several times more performance from NVMe M.2. So, no biggy there.

I switched to AMD after Intel showed me they couldn't quite get it figured out during 2017-2018. They shafted their customers with LGA 1151, compared to what AMD was offering with AM4. I bought 7th-gen Intel in 2017, and I turned around and bought AM4 in 2018. I recently upgraded to the Ryzen 7 5800X3D on the same motherboard from 2018, and I expect it to last me a good while longer. I'd expect AM5 to offer a similar longevity. Although, Intel seems to have somehow taken more of the market share back in the past few years.

I think your parts list looks good. I can't find much to complain about it. Maybe an X-series motherboard instead. It usually offers more features, such as more PCIe lanes for more NVMe drives later on.

will look into this! I avoided X series because of the decently higher costs and did not think I would use many of the added slots. Will look into it again.

If you don't plan on overclocking then the locked AMD cpu's might be worth looking into in order to save some money. The prices listed in the link will drop within a week or two of being released in order to corelate with the unlocked cpu's.

https://www.techpowerup.com/302657/amd-ryzen-7000-non-x-series-to-launch-on-january-10th

will look into these, thanks a lot!

Reactions: Why_Me