Question Second desktop

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Hi. I was looking at getting a desktop PC as a second computer with my laptop. I looked at this refurbished one from Amazon. They mention "a battery that exceeds 80% capacity relative to new. " Shouldn't Desktops use the mains supply? Any comments on this as it is a reconditioned and probably not going to be used much. This will only be used for general office work using MS Office and email desktop apps with some music apps. Don't need keyboard, mouse or monitor.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Optiplex-i7-2600-Windows-Desktop-Computer/dp/B07YST68J3/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3SK9CQKRW3U4V&keywords=desktop+computer&qid=1660205794&sprefix=desktop+computer,aps,88&sr=8-3

TIA

Desmond.

Hi. I was looking at getting a desktop PC as a second computer with my laptop. I looked at this refurbished one from Amazon. They mention "a battery that exceeds 80% capacity relative to new. " Shouldn't Desktops use the mains supply? Any comments on this as it is a reconditioned and probably not going to be used much.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Optiplex-i7-2600-Windows-Desktop-Computer/dp/B07YST68J3/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3SK9CQKRW3U4V&keywords=desktop+computer&qid=1660205794&sprefix=desktop+computer,aps,88&sr=8-3

TIA

Desmond.
Most probably an error. Only battery is the one for CMOS. Due to system's age you should replace it anyway, it's very cheap.

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
I have found Windows 10 annoyingly difficult and I don't like the MS controlling you with W11. You have to log onto MS account so they can monitor you. My last PC had Windows 7 Ultimate and I have the DVDs. The problem is all the drivers for this Dell. I heard dell has peculiar drivers for everything.

Last edited:
I have found Windows 10 annoyingly difficult and I don't like the MS controlling you with W11. You have to log onto MS account so they can monitor you. My last PC had Windows 7 Ultimate and I have the DVDs. The problem is all the drivers for this Dell. I heard dell has peculiar drivers for everything.
Much paranoia ?? Don't worry, W11 will not work with that system anyway and I doubt W10 would be right fit for it or have drivers by Dell but W7 is out of service an nowhere as secure as W11 so more vulnerable and more cause for paranoia.

USAFRet

Titan
That is just boilerplate text for their guarantee on 'refurbished'.

And for this...
and I don't like the MS controlling you with W11. You have to log onto MS account so they can monitor you.
That is incorrect. You do NOT have to log in with an MS account, for either 10 or 11.

I use local accounts for my daily use, 1 Standard user and 1 Admin user. The last time I logged in with an MS account on this Win 11 system was around Christmas, when I was setting it up with a new drive. And that was only to get the licensing activated.
After that, local accounts only.

All my house systems are set up like that.