Second Display not detected.

G_16

Prominent
Jun 27, 2017
Okay, I'm feeling this is more of a hardware issue than anything else but here goes.

I've got two screens, one is a Samsung TV from a couple of years back, and an old ACER VGA LED monitor from....well... it's been that long since I got it.

I updated to a GTX 1060 graphics card, then hooked up my Samsung to one of the HDMI ports, and the VGA screen to the DVI-D port with an adaptor. It detects and displays on the Samsung screen, but it won't even detect the VGA screen. I've tried rolling back my drivers, updating to beta drivers, I googled around to see if I could figure it out myself, and nada. Short of sacrificing a goat, I decided to ask here instead.

Anyone have an idea what it might be?

G_16

Prominent
Jun 27, 2017

Okie dokey, new adaptor arrived today. Now I'm facing new problems.

Okay, so the computer recognises the new screen during boot up, but as soon as it gets into Windows 10 it goes 'NOPE, ONLY ONE SCREEN BUDDY'.

During boot up, it prioritises the VGA screen, showing all the boot up dialogues and screens and nothing over the HDMI. Then when W10 boots up to the password lock screen, the VGA goes blank and the HDMI takes over. I've checked in my Nvidia control panel, done the rigorous detection in there, checked my W10 display settings, no second screen detected throughout it all. Am I missing something?

At least there's progress though, so thank you for that.

Update: I've tried booting up with only the VGA connected, it works up until it reaches the password lock, then goes blank before it loads that screen in. The monitor has a light that shows input though, while the HDMI was disconnected it was bright blue (confirming signal) but not displaying an image. After I plugged the HDMI in, it went to amber (no signal).

May as well include the screens themselves tbh, I don't know if that'll make a difference:
VGA: Acer X183H b 18.5-Inch LCD Monitor
HDMI: Samsung UN32H6350 32 Inch 1080p 120Hz Smart LED TV

Update 2: Hmmm... maybe I should have sacrificed that goat...

G_16

Prominent
Jun 27, 2017

Hmm, I've checked around for display drivers, but this screen's last official update from Acer was in 2009 and was for Windows Vista 32 Bit. I'm currently using a 64 bit system. Could the issue be that there isn't currently any driver support for this particular monitor?

G_16

Prominent
Jun 27, 2017
Fixed it! I rolled back the driver for my Display Adapter in my device manager. I don't know how or why it worked, but it did. Shame the updated drivers don't seem to work currently.

TRENDING THREADS