Second dual channel G.skill Ripjaws DDR4 Memory doesn't work!

hex1337

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015
Salutations community! I seem to have run into an issue that is driving me bonkers! Yesterday I constructed a new rig with all new parts but can't seem to fire up a second dual channel DDR4 memory module on my motherboard.

I'm using a Maximus VII Gene motherboard with a pair of G.Skill Ripjaws V series 32gb (2 x 16gb) DDR4 memory modules. One of the memory sticks was able to boot successfully but whenever I attempt to insert the second one I keep getting a Q_Code 41 prompt on my motherboard. There is no specification on this code in the manual and I'm confused on what to do next.

Can someone give me a few pointers I could follow to remedy this issue? Greatly appreciated!

Have you tried installing only the DIMM that's giving you problems then tried booting again and see if it has any errors that time around? This would tell you if it's just a bad DIMM or not.

Long story short: If it works with one DIMM installed, then take that DIMM out and put in the other DIMM so that it's the only one installed and post back with results please.

hex1337

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015
Yeah I tried switching the ram modules and both work but not together, they were also part of a kit. I tried placing them on A2 (second DIMM slot) and B2 (fourth DIMM slot) which the motherboard manual recommends and other configurations with no avail.

Yep, I have the latest BIOS. Still doesn't work. :( I also tried loosening the heatsink which is a noctua nh-l12 with no results. Should I maybe do something with XMP on bios and manually configure voltage or something along those lines? I'm completely clueless at the moment.

Here is a picture of what it looks like: http://i.imgur.com/7QOHbof.jpg