Second graphics card BIOS?

dementedwombat

Reputable
Oct 18, 2014
Hello, I built my first gaming computer about a year ago using an MSI R9 290. It's been great, but my monitor is 1440p and I can't get 60 fps with max settings on some of the games I play, so I bit the bullet and bought a second card. Yeah, horrible timing, I didn't realize a new GPU generation came out until After I bought it.

Anyway, as you might have guessed I'm not all that in touch with the gaming computer world so I don't always know what I'm doing. I was curious if I needed to update the bios for my second card and if so how to do it. I just plugged the second card in and started the computer. After about 10 seconds of black screen upon logon everything seems to be working fine. Catalyst control center shows the two cards and crossfire is enabled, but the two cards have different bios versions.

Also my PSU is 750W EVGA. I will probably have to update that, but that can wait until I decide to go with 2x R9 390 I think.

Solution
There really is no way to do a BIOS update on the cards, and there is no need to. As long as it all works, you're golden. In fact you probably won't gain a whole lot of performance swapping for R9 390's either. I'd say keep what you have, as for your PSU it should be enough. If you start to have stability issues then you know you'll need a new one.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
There really is no way to do a BIOS update on the cards, and there is no need to. As long as it all works, you're golden. In fact you probably won't gain a whole lot of performance swapping for R9 390's either. I'd say keep what you have, as for your PSU it should be enough. If you start to have stability issues then you know you'll need a new one.

Solution

dementedwombat

Reputable
Oct 18, 2014
Works for me. I am now getting a solid 60 fps (vsync limited) when I was getting 40-50 before. Too bad the game I was testing it on doesn't support crossfire when it's running in windowed mode. I guess that's what a second monitor is for.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

IIRC nothing supports crossfire in windowed mode. I may be wrong on that.