Question Second Graphics Card Not Detected

Feb 12, 2019
I recently bought a GTX 1070 to replace my old 770. Originally I didn't know what to do with it so I just stored it away. However, I use my PC for rendering and after some searching I discovered that I could use both my new 1070 and old 770 together (I use Daz Studio). I threw the 770 back in my rig and initially the PC detected it but I was getting an error and the PC disabled the card or something. Error 43 I believe. I looked around and and saw that it might be because the drivers weren't updated so I went to Nvidia to get updated drivers but when I tried to install them they wouldn't install. Cool. I decided to use Driver Easy to see if I could use that to install updated drivers. Mistake. Now my PC won't even detect the 770. I don't really know what to do about it but I'd really like to get both cards working because even a little boost would help with rendering. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z97X-UD5H
Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 1000 P2

Last edited:

Phazoner

Distinguished
The cards need to be connected with a SLI bridge, have you one? Cards and MoBos need all to support SLI on its own, and I am not sure that any Nvidia cards can be crossed (AMD cards are much more flexible with pairing different cards). I also think I heard that not all graphics cards have the ports at the same height making plugging the bridge impossible.

Edit: I'm cutting the long story short; you cannot SLI a 1070 with a 770:

Previously you could connect a second Nvidia card not SLI compatible to run the PhysX on games but I think this is unsupported now and anyways the games which support PhysX are scarce.

Feb 12, 2019
The cards need to be connected with a SLI bridge, have you one? Cards and MoBos need all to support SLI on its own, and I am not sure that any Nvidia cards can be crossed (AMD cards are much more flexible with pairing different cards). I also think I heard that not all graphics cards have the ports at the same height making plugging the bridge impossible.

Edit: I'm cutting the long story short; you cannot SLI a 1070 with a 770:

Previously you could connect a second Nvidia card not SLI compatible to run the PhysX on games but I think this is unsupported now and anyways the games which support PhysX are scarce.
According to numerous sources, such as this for example, I do not need to connect the cards via SLI. Daz apparently doesn't even like SLI as it causes "conflicts". My rig is not designed for gaming, although I do game, it's built for rendering.

Phazoner

Distinguished
According to numerous sources, such as this for example, I do not need to connect the cards via SLI. Daz apparently doesn't even like SLI as it causes "conflicts". My rig is not designed for gaming, although I do game, it's built for rendering.

SLIs aren't recommended by anyone to anything but hyper-enthusiasts with endless budgets as in any other scenario they don't work for all programs nor games and are used to generate problems.

Anyways, if you read my whole post, you cansee it is just not possible to SLI a 1070 with a 770.

Feb 12, 2019
SLIs aren't recommended by anyone to anything but hyper-enthusiasts with endless budgets as in any other scenario they don't work for all programs nor games and are used to generate problems.

Anyways, if you read my whole post, you cansee it is just not possible to SLI a 1070 with a 770.
... I know I can't SLI two different video cards. I could SLI two 770's or two 1070's but it's not possible to SLI them together. You're the one that brought up SLI, not me. I also know that I CAN render with two different video cards because the only thing Iray cares about is CUDA cores, which the 770 has. You're trying to answer questions I didn't ask and you're looking from a perspective that I'm not using. I'm not asking how to config my PC for gaming, I'm trying to set it up for rendering with Iray. All I want to know why my PC isn't detecting the 770 when it was BEFORE I used Driver Easy and it changed something.

Wolfshadw

Titan
... I know I can't SLI two different video cards. I could SLI two 770's or two 1070's but it's not possible to SLI them together. You're the one that brought up SLI, not me. I also know that I CAN render with two different video cards because the only thing Iray cares about is CUDA cores, which the 770 has. You're trying to answer questions I didn't ask and you're looking from a perspective that I'm not using. I'm not asking how to config my PC for gaming, I'm trying to set it up for rendering with Iray. All I want to know why my PC isn't detecting the 770 when it was BEFORE I used Driver Easy and it changed something.

Restore your system to a point from before you installed the GTX770.
Download and install the Geforce Driver version 418.81. This driver works for both the GTX 1070 and the GTX 770.
Install the old graphics card.
Reboot your system and both cards should be detected.

Also, which expansion slot are you installing the GTX 770 into?

• 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16)
    * For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16 slot.

• 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x8 (PCIEX8)
    * The PCIEX8 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16 slot. When the PCIEX8 slot is populated, the PCIEX16 slot will operate at up to x8 mode.

• 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4)
    • The PCIEX4 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX8 and PCIEX16 slots. When the PCIEX4 slot is populated, the PCIEX16 slot will operate at up to x8 mode and the PCIEX8 will operate at up to x4 mode.
    • When installing a x8 or above card in the PCIEX4 slot, make sure to set PCIE Slot Configuration in BIOS Setup to x4. (Refer to Chapter 2, "BIOS Setup," "Peripherals," for more information.)
    (The PCIEX16, PCIEX8 and PCIEX4 slots conform to PCI Express 3.0 standard.)

GA-Z97X-UD5H Specifications Page

-Wolf sends

Phazoner

Distinguished
I see, I understood that even knowing that SLIs aren't recommended for DAZ and can cause trouble, you were trying to make it work. But I see now that it must give different tiles to each card as Blender does or something, without sli.

As Wolfshadw said, the issue probably is installing a driver which is supported by the newer card, but not by the older one. That older driver could work but, if you indeed play with the computer anyways, you will eventually run into driver issues as newest games will require you to have the newest drivers, unless you only play old games.

Feb 12, 2019
Restore your system to a point from before you installed the GTX770.
Download and install the Geforce Driver version 418.81. This driver works for both the GTX 1070 and the GTX 770.
Install the old graphics card.
Reboot your system and both cards should be detected.

Also, which expansion slot are you installing the GTX 770 into?

GA-Z97X-UD5H Specifications Page

-Wolf sends
I used DDU to remove the old drivers and I'm currently using 418.81 right now.

I'm using.... uhm.... I know where it's at on the board but I'm not sure which slot it is. Lemme snag an image of the board and mark it...

B7tF36c.png

Wolfshadw

Titan
That's the PCIEX8 slot, so you shouldn't need to do anything in BIOS as mentioned on the specifications page. I've never fully trusted DDU (or any third party gimmick tool) to do it's job properly. Check your system BIOS/UEFI to see if there is some sort of SLI setting enabled. If so, disable it.

Failing that, temporarily move the GTX 770 to the PCIEX4 slot (taking note of the the instructions quoted above) and see if the card is now recognized. If so, shut down and move it back to the PCIEX8 slot again and reboot.

Any Change?

-Wolf sends

Feb 12, 2019
That's the PCIEX8 slot, so you shouldn't need to do anything in BIOS as mentioned on the specifications page. I've never fully trusted DDU (or any third party gimmick tool) to do it's job properly. Check your system BIOS/UEFI to see if there is some sort of SLI setting enabled. If so, disable it.

Failing that, temporarily move the GTX 770 to the PCIEX4 slot (taking note of the the instructions quoted above) and see if the card is now recognized. If so, shut down and move it back to the PCIEX8 slot again and reboot.

Any Change?

-Wolf sends
Alright. So I took out the 770, booted up the PC without it, shut the PC back down then put it back in just to see if that would do anything. I did. PC now detects the 770. That being said, I'm back to square 1 of the original problem in that device manager is giving me a code 43. What should I do about this?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Just to confirm, you have power cables going to both cards?

If so, then try removing the GTX 1070 and reinstalling the GTX 770 in the top PCIEx16 expansion slot. Does the system boot normally? Are you still getting Error Code 43 in Device Manager?

-Wolf sends

Feb 12, 2019
Just to confirm, you have power cables going to both cards?

If so, then try removing the GTX 1070 and reinstalling the GTX 770 in the top PCIEx16 expansion slot. Does the system boot normally? Are you still getting Error Code 43 in Device Manager?

-Wolf sends
Yup, 2 seperate cables. I even switched out the original cable I was using on the 770/1070 (when I upgraded) because it had an additional vga port(?) Now each cable goes from the PS to the cards with no additional features. Before I knew how SLI worked I thought that additional port was how you bridged two cards together. I figured you might ask me to do that, should've did it while I had the PC cracked open. I'll see if it works. If it doesn't I suppose it'll be safe to assume the card is busted, eh?