Second Graphics Card that Supports 4096x2160 @60Hz?

basspig

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
I'm running Windows 7, which reshuffles the desktop whenever I turn on my 4K projector. I've been through the very expensive route (no success) of buying an Extron switcher that supposedly stores the EDID and is supposed to fix this, but it introduced other problems.

While experimenting with the Black Magic Intensity Pro 4K on another PC, I discovered that loss of EDID on the Intensity pro didn't disrupt the nVidia card's outputs at all.

However, the Intensity Pro 4K outputs a black screen with 4K material from my NLE. It's okay with UHD, but I get pillarboxed output. If I force the setting in Premiere to scale the output, I get UHD but it's scrunched horizontally so circles become ovals. So the Intensity Pro 4K can only do 3.8K when driven by an NLE.

It did demonstrate that a separate dedicated graphics card for the projector solves the problem of all the monitors blanking and the desktop and tablet drawing areas getting reassigned to another random display. So with that knowledge I am thinking of finding an inexpensive graphics card that CAN do 4K 60P that I can connect just the projector to. Any suggestions?

basspig

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
I'm thinking more of a frame buffer, but if it only needs a single slot, it's no more than the Intensity Pro 4K. As long as there's no problem running two GPUs in one PC.. driver conflict?

No, you shouldn't have any driver conflicts. This happens if you're not careful or paying attention and put two drivers on one card. Make sure the new drivers are installed *manually*by you from the manufacturer's site. Try the Zotac GeForce GT 710. It's maximum output is 4096x2160 and it's a $50 card.

basspig

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
By manually installing, you mean from the Device Manager "update driver" under properties?

I see this is a single slot card, which will fit my available space.

As long as it doesn't cause any conflicts with Adobe Premiere's CUDA/Mercury Playback Engine, it should be okay.

No I mean, download them from Zotac's webpage. Download it straight from the card's manufacturer. Device Manager is an "auto install" feature.

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/GT710/all

Once you download the driver from the page, you'll be faced with two options:
1. Follow an .exe instruction set for the driver installation
2. Manually install them to your card from device manager.
(Browse your computer for the driver.)

If memory serves, Zotac comes with an executable.

It should be noted that the GT 710 is an old card, and may "struggle" to project anything too strenuous. If you want to be sure you'll have no issues, just pick anything newer than a GT 710 that's single slot.

Here is a list of other choices just inc ase you want to future proof yourself.

https://graphicscardhub.com/single-slot-graphics-card/

Hope this information helps!

basspig

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
Thanks for the link to single slot cards. A lot of them don't have HDMI out, so the options are thin.

If I were to use something like another nVidia card, how would the preexisting nVidia driver know which card it's supposed to control? Wouldn't there be a conflict or confusion about which driver for which card?

No, because you would be manually selecting the driver going to the card. For example, if you go into device manager and select the card to install the driver to, and pick manually browse, you would be selecting the driver you installed for the card. If you use an executable file, it should notice you have 2 different cards and pick the compatible card for the driver you installed. The existing card won't be changed. In other words, it's just like any other device with drivers. Everything has it's own drivers, and having two different GPUs is no different than having two different devices connected via USB.

basspig

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
My confusion was because nVidia drivers work with a large range of nVidia cards and if I happen to get another nVidia card, how would the driver behave. But if I put in an ATI card, I know that uses a totally different driver.

basspig

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
I've never had two GPUs in the same machine before and I'm not running SLI or Crossfire, so I was not sure how it would work. The consensus here seems to be that it can, but installing drivers needs to be done with care.

TRENDING THREADS