[SOLVED] Second hand CPU/GPU

Heater6785

Commendable
Oct 30, 2019
I am searching for a used CPU and GPU for my PC. Are there any risks for the CPU if it hasn't been overclocking or working on high temperatures and I put a thermal compound and use a good cooler (not the stock one) after buying it? Besides from getting out from a mining rig and the temps, is there anything else I should watch for while buying a used GPU? Does it worth the risk in buying a second hand GPU? I am considering to buy an HD 7770, 7790, 7850, 7950, 7970, R9 270X or 280X or at least Nvidia GTX 900-1000 series from the older ones. Or should I turn around and think about RX 570-580 old/new?

Solution
From what i know, most miners underclock the card and supposedly it is better to use a card 24/7 then using it in intervalls because of temperatures going up (gaming) to cold again (not in use)
What does get affected are the fans, fans on mining cards are more worn out

Personally i wouldn't worry too much about buying a miner card, but the choice is up to you

Yes newer gens are safer buys, as the components are in better shape

Bang for buck wise i'd buy a 1060 6gb
Cpu's are pretty much immortal if you don't damage them physically
if a cpu get's too stressed your system will shut down
So it's safe to buy secondhand

gpu's are a more difficult matter, i would guess the older they are the more chance for breakage
Try to stresstest them with ungine or something similar if possible

i have bought quite a few secondhand gpu's and so far only one has failed after several months of usage

From what i know, most miners underclock the card and supposedly it is better to use a card 24/7 then using it in intervalls because of temperatures going up (gaming) to cold again (not in use)
What does get affected are the fans, fans on mining cards are more worn out

Personally i wouldn't worry too much about buying a miner card, but the choice is up to you

Yes newer gens are safer buys, as the components are in better shape

Bang for buck wise i'd buy a 1060 6gb

Solution
I bought my current gpu used from ebay. A Vega 56. It was a pretty good deal as it was an expensive ASUS one it seemed unlikely to have been bought for mining. You can also ask the sellers why's they are selling. Of course they may lie but sometimes you can spot a story sometimes not.

I was surprised how good condition it was in it looked brand new no dust anywhere lol

TRENDING THREADS