Question Second hand GPU, grey screen when playing high end games.

Sep 27, 2022
Recently bought a second hand GTX 1080TI OC 11GB on ebay. Seller has very good feedback and says the card works perfectly and has been tested. It works perfectly fine on most games that are not too demanding such as Valorant, League, Fortnite and I've tried a bunch of others. However when I tried playing more demanding games such as Cyberpunk 2077 or the Call of Duty MW2 beta my PC seems to just grey screen and after a while just restarts itself. It can happen anytime, sometimes it happens in a loading screen, sometimes it happens like 2 minutes into gameplay, sometimes 30 minutes. The only real thing that seemed to help was using MSI afterburner to lower the core clock and memory clock. When I did this I was able to play much longer and didnt seem to get any grey screens. Maybe 1. I read online that grey screen usually happen when your GPU is overheating and shuts itself off, but I am monitoring the temperatures and it barely ever goes above 60°C when gaming.

Specs:
CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X
GPU - GTX 1080 TI OC 11GB
RAM - DDR4 16GB
PSU - Corsair 750w 80+ bronze
Motherboard - ASUS PRIME A320M-K
OS - Windows 10 64x
Monitor - Samsung :)

What is the actual model of your PSU and how long has it been in service?

Did you do a clean install of the graphics card drivers using the DDU?

Are you on the latest motherboard BIOS?

Are your chipset, network and audio drivers the latest ones available from your motherboard product page?

Is Windows itself fully up to date?

WHAT barely goes above 60°C? GPU temp? VRAM temp? Hotspot temp?

Sep 27, 2022
What is the actual model of your PSU and how long has it been in service?

Did you do a clean install of the graphics card drivers using the DDU?

Are you on the latest motherboard BIOS?

Are your chipset, network and audio drivers the latest ones available from your motherboard product page?

Is Windows itself fully up to date?

WHAT barely goes above 60°C? GPU temp? VRAM temp? Hotspot temp?

Corsair CX750M (2021), I bought it and installed it a couple of days ago just before I bought the graphics card. It was new and sealed from Amazon.

Yes, I used DDU to uninstall my old graphics card drivers and then installed the new one.

Yes I am on latest motherboard BIOS.

All up to date.

Windows is up to date!

GPU temp.

All up to date.
Ok, but according to WHAT?

Windows?
Some "driver updater"?

Or did you actually go to your motherboard product support page and download them, and then install them. All three, chipset, network adapters and audio controller. Because it's fairly important that that happens these days. If that IS what you did, then perfect. If not, I'd do so.

What are your VRAM and hotspot temps?

And, you're running a 5600x on an A320 board with exactly ZERO heatsinks on the VRMS? That's a pretty poor quality board, and this could easily be a result of poor power delivery or VRM overheating, or simply a problem on the PCIe bus. What are your CPU core and motherboard VRM temperatures looking like under a similar load to when it's crashing?

What graphics card did you upgrade from and do you still have it?

Sep 27, 2022
Ok, but according to WHAT?

Windows?
Some "driver updater"?

Or did you actually go to your motherboard product support page and download them, and then install them. All three, chipset, network adapters and audio controller. Because it's fairly important that that happens these days. If that IS what you did, then perfect. If not, I'd do so.

What are your VRAM and hotspot temps?

And, you're running a 5600x on an A320 board with exactly ZERO heatsinks on the VRMS? That's a pretty poor quality board, and this could easily be a result of poor power delivery or VRM overheating, or simply a problem on the PCIe bus. What are your CPU core and motherboard VRM temperatures looking like under a similar load to when it's crashing?

What graphics card did you upgrade from and do you still have it?

After I read your post I was going to go get more temp readings for you, but I noticed that when playing a game the hotspot temp kept increasing until it hit about 86 and then crashed shortly after, so I'm guessing it is over heating after all. The thing is, the fans are atleast spinning, and with MSI afterburner I can speed them up, but for some reason they wont automatically speed up when the GPU is getting hot. I manually set them to 75% and experienced no crashes. So now the question is, shouldn't they automatically speed up to cool down the GPU...?

You can't close the program. The settings don't work, for ANY of the graphics card tweak programs, if the utility (Afterburner, Precision X, etc.) is closed. You need to set it to load with Windows and if you make adjustments you need to minimize it to the tray, not press the X to close it, or else it no longer will control the fans. There is no way around this.

I'm guessing that is what is happening for you.

Sep 27, 2022
You can't close the program. The settings don't work, for ANY of the graphics card tweak programs, if the utility (Afterburner, Precision X, etc.) is closed. You need to set it to load with Windows and if you make adjustments you need to minimize it to the tray, not press the X to close it, or else it no longer will control the fans. There is no way around this.

I'm guessing that is what is happening for you.

I know, but I figure doesn't a GPU fans automatically start to speed up when it starts to get hot? Even without those sorts of programs? I've never had to use such programs before. I also think it is not an overheating issue, these past day or 2 I have gotten the same sort of crash where my GPU just kind of shuts down sometimes just at the start of a game. Can be just after first loading screen finished or can be like 10 seconds into game play.

Yes, they should, but sometimes they don't for whatever reason. Problem with the card, age, whatever.

Does it do it at all when the fans are running faster like you said before? Is that still keeping it from crashing? It's sounding to me like maybe there is a capacitor or something on the card that is contributing to the problem as those can get hot immediately or not at all. Could be anything really but sounds to me like the card is bad.